Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, been trolling the forums for a while and figured I'd ask a question I couldn't find an easy answer for. I drive a 2 door 96 Cherokee, the current gauge cluster has 2 big gauges for my speed and fuel, and dummy lights for everything else. The gas gauge isn't working and the speedometer shows me driving 10mph faster then I actually am after the vehicle was re-geared.

Obviously my current gauge cluster gives me literally no current functionality.

What is required in order to get a gauge cluster that will show me the necessities, Speed, RPM, and analog gauges for Temp, Oil Pressure. I know I will need the new gauge cluster itself, but what sending units will be required?

Edit: Step by Step Tutorial Here
Wanted to put this link at the top of this thread, the guys here did a great job of letting me know what I needed to do to perform this swap. I was also provided this link today and wanted to make sure anyone else who stumbled along this thread found the link and was able to use it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I addition to the cluster you'll need the oil pressure and water temp senders. Your speedo is electrical, make sure you get a cluster that also has this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
No, you have the same wiring in dash as a Cherokee that has full instrumentation. Plugging in a cluster with tach will be enough to get it operational.

You'll probably need to check the issue with your fuel gauge, i forgot to mention that. Simply adding a new cluster wont fix that most likely.

To get your speedometer accurate you need to swap the speedo gear in transfercase, easy job. What's your gearing and tire size?

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Will I need anything for the RPM? It's not something that is currently displayed in my cluster.
Yup overland is right, they pretty much standardized everything so that clusters could be easily installed to various vehicles. It should be a fairly easy job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not so much worried about the fuel gauge, that is a problem I will save for a day when I feel like dropping the fuel tank and checking the float and pump.

Glad to hear that the wiring will be there for the tac, my jaw dropped when I picked this thing up and noticed the lack of any useful information in the cluster.

I am not positive on the gearing, nor do I have any easy way check the ratio, the work was done before I acquired the vehicle. The wheels are 32x11.5's. When driving 40mph the speedo shows me going about 48mph, if that gives you an idea at all of what gear ratio I'm running.

I was under the impression that since I was using an electro speedo that I would want to electronically reconfigure the speed with one of those in line boxes, can it be done by just swapping the gear?

As for the cluster, I'm assuming this is the one I want.
This Cluster

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Jack up the rear end and spin the tire, look to see how many times the pinion spins on one tire rotation and that will give you your gear ratio.

And yes it can be done by just swapping the internal gear in the transfer case. Takes about ten minutes and 30$.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Am located in the Phoenix area in Arizona. How difficult is it to replace the dummy sending units with the ones I will actually need for the new cluster?

Is the cluster you have for an electric speedo? Do you know how many miles it currently has on it?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Am located in the Phoenix area in Arizona. How difficult is it to replace the dummy sending units with the ones I will actually need for the new cluster?

Is the cluster you have for an electric speedo? Do you know how many miles it currently has on it?

PM'd you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts