Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother owns a 2001 GC with a 5.2L and it has just about every add on there is. She is having problems with the battery staying charged. It has an anti-theft system in it. I replaced the battery, and have had it to the garage multiple times. They can't seem to figure out what is doing it and neither can I. If the Jeep isn't run at least every other day, the battery goes dead. Any one know what it draining the battery?

·
Registered
608 Posts
You sure it's the battery, not the Alternator not charging the battery?
It could also be something with the alarm system or some other accessory draining te battery.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the alternator checked twice and then had it replaced. Had the security system looked at by a Chrysler certified garage, a dealer's garage and other garages. They say everything is functioning. The alternator is fine, as long as the jeep is run the battery stays good. But if its sits for 2-3 days it goes completely dead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe 2-3 months and yes I had that all done. It is charging fine. I've taken the battery out after it has been run to check it and it is charging fine. Something is draining it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe it's a bad Body Control Module.I had a similar situation with the wife's Liberty.Out of the blue,the interior lights would light up,the powerlocks would lock/unlock,all kinds of weird electrical gremlins.I took it in(under warranty) and that's what the dealership replaced.Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts