Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eventualy not any time soon though, im going to switch out both axels with duel dana 44's.

I want to know my gearing options and there advantages.

Yes im going to be running dana 32's for a while but eventualy i would like to get something bigger, i would want to be able to handle the upgrade when i want it.

remember this is something that is going to be a daily driver and a trail rig (until i get a comaro or something in my dreams :rofl: )

·
Registered
872 Posts
Eventualy not any time soon though, im going to switch out both axels with duel dana 44's.

remember this is something that is going to be a daily driver and a trail rig (until i get a comaro or something in my dreams :rofl: )
Pretty open ended question there buddy!! We need to know what size tire you're looking to run, and what speed you're comfortable with on the highway. Then we can come closer to a ratio for you.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Why bother with D44s if you're just wanting to run 32s???

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Gearing options with Dana 44's are pretty vast. You need to specify what tire size you plan on running, however otherwise there is no advice to give.

Just curious, what d44 are you going to run in the front and rear? Unless you are thinking of rubi axles (which the front isnt a true 44) then idk what axles are of the same width that are both 44's.
Waggy 44's can be swapped into the XJ. Yes, they're wider than XJ OEM axles, but they're matching width and bolt pattern, and with some fabbing can work on an XJ.

Why bother with D44s if you're just wanting to run 32s???
Why not? Most people don't stop just at 32" tires, many modify past that. Having a solid set of axles under your rig, that you can build around is much better than throwing on a lift with huge tires, and hoping your 35/30 combo doesn't blow up. It's a good idea that he is putting his axle situation into perspective for his future because then at least he can prepare for what he may want to do down the road.

However, I do agree with you on the fact that if he's going to stop at 32" tires then his current axles should be sufficient. If he has the D35 and leaves it open, then he should be able to carefully run it for a while. If he has the 8.25 then he can work with it if he's got the 29 spline version.

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the dana44s will probobly come out of an old chevy which in most of them comes stock with dana 44s unless i can get them out of a cherokee with the towing package... they will be looked for at junkyards and stuff... the 32's will be ran for a while but i might want to upgrade in the future and i want my axels to be ready for it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
With D44s and 32s, you'll lose ground clearance at the diff, that's why I'm asking. If you're going to go bigger, then don't sweat it!! I went from a D35 with 33s to a D44 with 33s and noticed quite a difference in clearance. My $.02...HTH!!

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
With D44s and 32s, you'll lose ground clearance at the diff, that's why I'm asking. If you're going to go bigger, then don't sweat it!! I went from a D35 with 33s to a D44 with 33s and noticed quite a difference in clearance. My $.02...HTH!!
I have to disagree with this statement. My Dana 44 rear does not get hung up any more or less than my Dana 35 did. On that note, I would rather upgrade axle strength and lose a negligible amount of ground clearance than push my luck with weaker axles - granted on 32" tires, stock axles aren't terrible.

·
Registered
872 Posts
OK, you can disagre, and it's all good. I have ran both a D35 and a D44 with the same wheels and tires on both, on the same trails, and "have" noticed a decrease in GC at the pumkin. Sorry, it's a fact. It is not to the point that it made trail impassable, just noticed "bonking" it a little more, that's all. I would NEVER go back to the D35, and I agree with the fact that the strength of the axle far outshines the very minimal loss in GC, but that would be hightened with a 32" tire. That is why I brought it up. I plan on going up to 35" tires with my next purchase, so this was a valid trade off for me. Any time you can increase strength in drive train components you're money ahead of the game, IMHO.:rock:

·
Registered
260 Posts
the dana44s will probobly come out of an old chevy which in most of them comes stock with dana 44s unless i can get them out of a cherokee with the towing package... they will be looked for at junkyards and stuff... the 32's will be ran for a while but i might want to upgrade in the future and i want my axels to be ready for it.
chevy dana 44`s are pass drop and low pinion...your transfercase is driver drop,wich means u will need to get a 70`s ford or the waggy 44.The ford is a high pinion set up with bigger tubes,the waggy is a low pinion set up and a bit narrower.My first 44 combo was a 77 F150 D44 up front,and a 89 Mj D44 in the rear.I used had a custom set on wheel spacers made for the rear,to make up the extra width i needed,and to change the bolt pattern to 5x5.5 like the front.So thw wheel spacers were 1.5 thick and bolted to the 5x4.5 pattern,and excepted a 5x5.5 wheel.The front was still a bit wider,they usually are on most vehicles.

heres a couple pics of the 44/44 combo.........

heres on without the flares so u can see the width differance....

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its also a bit of fab work to make a D44 fit up front....they dont come ready to bolt in to any jeep....u have to make them fit....weather you use the ford radius arm style suspension,or keep the xj 4 link set up.I kept the 4link....i used RE bracket kit...and a day of transfering measurments from one diff to the other,so the suspension mounting points were exactly the same..then weld er up

in this pic u can see the truss over the pumpkin,wich has the upper control arm mount on it................

and heres a link to the kit i used...... Rubicon Express, Inc.

it says tj kit...should say tj/xj/mj/zj

tnt also makes a conversion kit for D44`s into jeeps......Treks Offroad Products - Ford HP44 axle truss

hope this helps u out :rock:

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks crawl this info is very helpfull!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts