Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have 2 D44's to choes from to put in the xj.
one has limitted slip with 307's and the other is 355 open.
the xj has 355's now.
it I were to going to run 32's or 33's should I go with the open 355's d44 for milage or will it make that much differance if I go with the 307's so I have the limitted slip d44?
any info iwould be great.

·
Registered
59 Posts
yeah I understand the 4.10's or the 4.56's but I have 2 d44s and the gears that are in them are 307 and 355's so I am going with one of them. but maybe I will get a set of gears put in the housings then install them in the xj.
i think thats your best bet:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As in the factory as we al know they changed their minds and did diferent things. I now know why.... My girl told me yesterday she would rather I lifted the MJ and use it so she can drive the XJ. :brickwall: she is not quit 5' and prego. :dunno:
well maybe this is why over the years jeeps have all kinds of different parts.
I was out looking at the mj's to see what I can do to put one on the road and lift it.
I will go with the 90 3.55's and d44 in the back if I am going to do this. maybe swap out the 5 speed for the auto. HAAAAAAAAAAAAA I do not know any more :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

·
Registered
378 Posts
If you have 3.55s in the front (auto trans), you have to run 3.55s in the rear, or you can kiss your transfer case good bye the first time you try to use 4WD.

Likewise, if you have 3.07s in the front (manual trans), you've got to go with the 3.07 geared axle for the rear.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have 3.55s in the front (auto trans), you have to run 3.55s in the rear, or you can kiss your transfer case good bye the first time you try to use 4WD.

Likewise, if you have 3.07s in the front (manual trans), you've got to go with the 3.07 geared axle for the rear.
Thanks for the great info man.... I was going to say something stupid but then thought maybe you would get all uppedy so I will just keep my finger keys to myself and say..... I know man I was going to swap out front and back when I lift the jeep. that way they had the same gear ratio front and back.
as for the t-case if you actualy had different gear front and back the t-case would probably be ok for a bit as the pinion gear u joints in the drive shaft and a number of other weaker parts would let go way before you even put it into 4wd. not to mention the front wheels trying to turn faster then the back on the first test drive and in my mind tering the crap out of the ujoints in the front axels.
but hay thanks for the info I know you are just trying to help and He(( ya never know someone out their may try it or has.:cheers:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well the obvious answer to your original question is you need to go with whichever axle has gears that match your front axle. You never mentioned anything about changing the front gears to match the rear, so between that and that you even asked the question of which axle to use, I just wasn't sure whether or not you knew that you can't run different gear ratios front to rear.

I'd much rather don the Captain Obvious cape every now and then than have someone potentially mess up their Jeep because everyone just assumed they knew something that hadn't been explicitly covered.

Case in point: a guy over on JeepForum regeared his XJ earlier this year. He was running 33s so he went with 4.56s because that's what he read everyone recommending for 33s. Only problem was he's got a manual transmission, so he should have gone with 4.10s and now he's geared too low and it's hurt his highway performance. Just about everyone always just says "4.56" when someone asks about the best gears for 33s, assuming that everyone has the auto trans since that's what most people have.

Anyway, I guess my work here is done... up, up... and awaaaaaayyy!

lol. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts