Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and gassed up the 1996 Cherokee Country yesterday. The gauge was showing just below a quarter of a tank. I put in 12.303 gallons, which is where the pump clicked off.

Once upon a time, I used to squeeze up to the next .00 or .05 when getting gas, but learned a lesson in why that's not a good idea when this fouled the canister purge valve on my 2015 Chevrolet. So, I've more or less broken myself of that habit.

Trouble is that 12.303 gallons must not have been enough to fill it up as the gauge isn't reading all the way to the F. I know we shouldn't live or die by what the gauges say unless they're in the red zone, but it would be nice to think that I not only got a full tank of gas, but also that the gas gauge is somewhat dependable.

Other than an MGB, I haven't owned anything older than 2005 model year in quite a long time, and thought that the tank was full when the pump clicked off. Is there some trick to filling up an XJ that's slipped my memory? My last XJ was a 1993, and it's been over ten years since I owned it. Filling the MG's not a huge deal since its gas gauge is kind of like your old friend who's got a bit of a flaky side to him. We know each other well, but also recognize that there are some limitations.

Thank you,
-William

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Ummm, no, you just fill it up. How much was in the tank before you started? You'll only put 18gal in it when its empty, so if you weren't quite down to E yet, I'd say thats not far off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did find something this past weekend that might have been a factor in this issue. I was trying to track down and fix the vacuum leak that can cause a problem for the a/c and cruise control. For some reason, the cruise control didn't seem to be problematic because of this, but the a/c would sometimes switch from dash vents to defrost under certain acceleration conditions. I found that the vacuum line from the cruise control to the reservoir was cracked, and that a couple of the rubber elbows weren't gripping their connections too tightly. So, I made replacements, and that appears to have fixed that problem.

While inspecting the vacuum lines, I found that one of the hoses leading from the metal line on the driver's side of the engine compartment to the evap canister was barely hanging on to the evap canister connection. There was enough extra line that I could cut off the end and reattach it, and it would grip much more tightly. I went to get gas because the gauge was down near the 1/4 mark. It took over $30 worth, and I pumped until the pump cut off. This time, it filled all the way to the F mark on the gauge. That's the first time I've been able to get it to do that since I bought it, so maybe fixing some bad evap and vacuum connections helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 96 XJ and my gas light will come on and when I fill it up it will take 12 to 13 gal. and the gauge will show just below full. The specs I read say it is a 20 gal. tank, is that right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts