Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You'll need the Ring Gear, Pinion Gear, New Carrier(s), Master Install Kit... I think that should cover the major parts. The Master Install Kit will have all the shims, bearings, etc that you'll need.

Why just to 4.10's though? Are you going to stay with 31's for an extended amount of time? Regearing is costly (just even the parts gets expensive), so it's something that you only really want to do just once. If you're going to go to bigger tires, even in 2 years, you may want to consider just staying at 3.55's for now, I doubt they're that bad with 31's to warrant a gear swap. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Why would you not gear to 4.56? If you want 4.10's go to the JY and look for older XJ's with a 4cyl and then check their ratio. It will be a lot cheaper and easier. But I would still go wtih 4.56's.
:agree:

I would recommend 33" tires, 32" are okay but I think it hurts your highway mileage. You would need to drive about 60, 65mph max. You can go faster, over 100 mph but I turn 3k rpms at 80 mph. BTW, I am VERY happy that I have the lower gears. So glad I'm not on the 3:55s now.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
If you go from 3.55 to 4.10 for 31" tires, you will not have to change speedometer drive gears. This is the closest ratio for that tire size to what came from the factory, in other words your RPMs at any given speed will be almost identical to factory specs.

Just a sugggestion. The front might be cheaper for you considering labor if you just got a complete front end from an XJ with a 2.5L or 2.8L engine. Front end gears generally have very little wear on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts