Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High I'm new to Jeeps, we just bought a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 318 cuin v8 and A518 overdrive auto from my brother in-law that has a bad transmission. I've bought everything and started rebuilding it when I noticed that it is full time 4wd. What would be involved in converting this thing to a part time 4wd? or could it be done? Also what size axles and diffs does it have in front and rear? I'm wandering about all this cause that's alot of motor under the hood.

Thanks,

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Which transfercase do you have? Do you have Quadratrac/Quadradrive (I always forget which one the ZJ's had). If you have the Selec-Trac Tcase (2WD-4PartTime-4FullTime-N-4Lo) then you pretty much have the best of both worlds, meaning that you have the Full-Time options in addition to the Part-Time Options. If you have the Quadra-whatever then it is possible to swap in a Part Time Tcase. The NP242 and NP231's both should bolt up without modification - I think. Someone else I'm sure will chime in and confirm or correct that.

The front axle is a Dana 30, the rear axle is either a Dana 35 or a Dana 44. The Dana 44 used in the ZJ's has an aluminum center section, so they are not as strong as a typical Dana 44, but in any event, it's still better than a Dana 35. You probably have 3.73 gears, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You got yourself a beast of a jeep =]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i know it's a pretty stout truck, the things literaly fender well to fender well al motor. it's a full time 4wd i don't know what it is, but the console only has 4hi and 4low. If i put in a part time tcase would anything in the front end need to be changed so it can spin free or would it be fine like that. i'm building this thing for my wife and she'll be doing mostly hwy driving, so i'd like to try to free up as much mpg as posible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
is it a common thing for the zj's to loose overdrive? dose anyone know why the light flashes on the overdrive switch when you turn the key to get the engine codes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts