Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is lithium grease recommended for poly bushings? Why can't we use traditional grease that we use in our tie rod ends and such? My new arms have poly bushings and it looks like i'm gonna have to get another grease gun just to grease these with lithium grease, or can I just use regular grease?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I believe that the white lithium grease is less probable to react or chemically degrade with the bushing, so you get longer life out of them. Although, generally our bushings tend to be damaged by something on the trail long before they wear out, so the importance of the grease is somewhat negligible...

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree. My bushings are toast long before the grease eats 'em. I have spilled motor oil, brake fluid and anti freeze on my red poly bushings and they showed no sign at all of any corrosion or damage, and I know I didn't get 'em clean. I use regular high-temp grease.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't regular grease make them squeak? I heard about this on another board.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine squeaked right from brand new. Even with the lithium grease that came with them. So I just used my regular grease after that. It's not so bad though, a little squeak here and there. The poly bushings generally make a little more noise than the rubber ones, but in my opinion they smooth out the ride, so it's a bit of a trade off.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can hear your bushing squeak then you must have a really quite XJ. If I heard my bushings squeaking then I'd think that there was something wrong with my XJ because it'd be entirely too quiet and squeak-free.
I can't really hear it but i can feel the squeaks. it's annoying sometimes. my rough country shackles squeak on every stop. I originally thought it was the springs but it's the shackles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Never saw this thread... But yes... regular grease will over time accelerate the breakdown of the poly bushings. But... I have never had one last long enough without getting damaged another way to worry about it.... But no more poly bushings for me.. TOO MUCH SQUEAKING....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts