Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well last night i got home around midnight, didn't go to sleep til about one. this morning i woke up to go take a shower and my mom came and told me my jeep had been broken into so i ran outside.... they took my stereo, a good pair of pliers, and this entire emergency kit i had in the back. called the police to file a report. i am very sad. :( but at least the didn't try to steal my whole jeep or i would still be bawling my eyes out.

where they broke in..... jerks!

what my backseat looked like.

whole stereo is just gone.

they rifled through here and got the pair of pliers that my grandpa gave me.

yup, they decided to break that. but notice they left my change!

they also went through the middle compartment where i have my cds but they didn't take anything, at least not from what i could tell.

also my sisters 2001 xterra and my neighbors nice iroc-z camaro were outside and neither were touched. i hope they catch whoever did it cuz i want to punch them in the face really hard.

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
F***ing cowards. Before I had the Jeep my old Jetta was broken into and all my CDs were stolen. This was before the days of iPods, so we're talking like 200 CDs. I was ready to kill people.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry to heat that. It amazes me that most thiefs cut the wires when they could have just unhooked the harness.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was surprised they didn't take any of my cds, i have some pretty new ones in my car.
the one thing they DID leave me for my stereo was the remote. how nice of them.
and i had some clothes in there too, a pair of jeans for workin on the jeep and a shirt.... thank god they didn't steal those or that would have just been creepy.

·
Premium Member
9,247 Posts
I had my XJ broken into not long ago. My HVAC tool bag was there, so they helped themselves to my tools to start removing stuff from the inside GRRRRRR

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
F***ing cowards. Before I had the Jeep my old Jetta was broken into and all my CDs were stolen. This was before the days of iPods, so we're talking like 200 CDs. I was ready to kill people.
Yeah, that happened to me when my Camaro got stolen. I lost about $2000 worth of CD's...And the insurance we have hear will only cover the CD that was IN the player, or however many are in the changer when stuff gets stolen. The rest you are supposed to go through home insurance for, but it's really not worth it because of the effevt on your rates once you make a claim...(Luckly, there was a really expensive disc in the player when the stereo got stolen ;) )
One time my sisters car got stolen and they smashed all the CD's they didn't like on the ground next to her car...

Sorry to heat that. It amazes me that most thiefs cut the wires when they could have just unhooked the harness.
Because it's a real pain in the ass to get a replacement harness, but it's really easy to rewire off of a cut harness.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think they didn't take any of my CDs because most of them are either mixes or whoever broke in isn't into the same type of music as me. glad they didn't smash any though! and when i drove to the post office today i noticed my garage door opener, glad they didn't see it or they could have gotten into our garage where my mom's camaro is and tons of other stuff. i don't think whoever did it will have any luck pawning the stereo, the pawn shops here are suspicious of that stuff i think. and i just remembered my dad's cd was in there! oops.

i think cutting the wires is alot easier too, i bet they weren't in my car for more than 5 minutes and there was probably 2 of them cuz a stereo and that emergency kit would be alot to carry for one person but who knows?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wish i could have seen who did it, unfortunately i was probably asleep when it happened and to see anything i would have had to have been in my driveway. i think it was just two kids, probably around my age, because if they had been older i think they would have stolen my car. most likely (and hopefully) a one time thing, i'm worried for my neighbors and my sisters cars now.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Why would they choose your xj over the other vehicles? Did you have a custom head unit? IF you did have an after market unit I wonder if it was someone that knows you.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Why would they choose your xj over the other vehicles? Did you have a custom head unit? IF you did have an after market unit I wonder if it was someone that knows you.
Maybe of all the vehicles, it looked the least likely to have an alarm?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I'm REALLY sorry that this happened to you :( They were most likely younger kids that just wanted to make a quick buck, or maybe junkies who were looking for something to pawn off quickly to get their next hit. It's a shame that the world works like this.

i bet they weren't in my car for more than 5 minutes and there was probably 2 of them cuz a stereo and that emergency kit would be alot to carry for one person but who knows?
5 minutes and they would've rolled away with the Jeep, 30-60 seconds is all it takes for them to do all that they did.

Maybe of all the vehicles, it looked the least likely to have an alarm?
Bingo! People don't think that older style vehicles aren't armed, and if they are, most aftermarket alarms are easy to shut off (usually just reach up under the dash, grab a handful of wires and pull hard).

If you don't want to invest in an alarm, you could even just get a blinking LED that you could turn on when you park. That is many times enough to deter most amateur thiefs from breaking in, as they won't want to deal with what may possibly be a loud and obnoxious alarm siren.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. I hope those who did it FRY.

I had a similar incident back in 2003. They sliced and diced their way into my jeep and stole my coins in the cupholder and left everything else (expensive sunglasses, coat, tools, etc). Sad thing was the tailgate was unlocked and they had to cut their way in :brickwall:. I came to the conclusion that it was a homeless guy that did it. A week prior to this incident, i gave $20 to a homeless guy sitting on the street. It felt good to help. He was sitting near the parking lot I use (pittsburgh). I figured he thought i was made of $$ and decided to find more in the jeep.

It a sucky feeling knowing some stranger invaded your jeep without your permission.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have never tried it but a buddy of mine swears by duct taping razor blades to the sides of your head unit. He had his stolen and they left a ton of blood. I hate hearing about people that get hurt but if your a thief.......well you know how it is.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my alarm system is basically those stickers on the front windows that say WARNING ALARM EQUIPMENT. yup i had a sony aftermarket, but the iroc-z had an aftermarket stereo as well. my dad thinks it was someone who knew me but who knows? now if this happened at my boyfriends house i KNOW who it would be and that would be his psycho ex, but she doesn't know where i live as far as i know.

after analyzing it and thinking about it all day, i think this is how it went:

these two kids were walking around, planning to break into a car. saw three - xterra, jeep, camaro. xterra has a stock system = bust. camaro and jeep both have nice stereos, but jeep has smaller windows with tint so they won't shatter and make a ton of noise. also less chance of alarm system. break window and climb in back, unlock front door for buddy to get the stereo and rifle through other compartments. guy in back seat looks in trunk and sees emergency kit with tools in it, although they probably had tools to get a stereo they figured they needed more. stereo = out. pliers in hand. start looking through the middle compartment and maybe a car or something drives by, they get scared and leave. DONE.

it just really makes me sick that there were people in my car that i didn't want in there. it still gives me the chills that at one point in time a stranger was in my car! i hope this doesn't happen again, when i get a new stereo i'll take the faceplate in my house with me. i'm just so scared now that my whole car is going to get stolen, i mean i've always been scared of that but now i'm like completely shaken to the core.

i sent my boyfriend the pictures and a short explanation of what happened, i'm sure he'll be furious. i just hope he calls before he gets the letter so i can tell him and he'll have his anger out by the time he gets the letter. and it's the last letter he'll get from me before we get to see each other.

i think that if you commit a crime and you're caught then your crime should be your punishment, like if you steal someone's car then your car should be stolen. criminals just don't have any heart, all they think about is themselves and it's really sad that this world has to deal with it. one of my mom's friends absolutely despised stealing, she always said 'what gives you the right to take my stuff? it is most definitely not yours so why do you act like it is?' i think stealing will become really abundant if the economy worsens anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have never tried it but a buddy of mine swears by duct taping razor blades to the sides of your head unit. He had his stolen and they left a ton of blood. I hate hearing about people that get hurt but if your a thief.......well you know how it is.
the thing with that was that the police didn't even come look at my car, when i called to report it they asked me more questions about my appearance than about my car! seriously, they asked my birthdate, height, weight, hair and eye color, phone number... all they know about my car is that it's a teal 94 jeep cherokee sport, didn't even ask for the license number. and he had to call back because he had forgotten to ask me the last time i had seen it without damage and when it was seen with damage. most likely, nothing will get solved but at least they have a general idea.

a few months ago this truck used to park in front of our house, not ours and we didn't know whose it was. one morning a cop came knocking on our door and told us our truck had been broken into. since the truck wasn't ours we told him that and haven't seen it since. so now i'm worried about any car that parks at our house since this is now the second time that a car has been broken into at our house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts