Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm from Nampa, Idaho and just joined this forum. I'm actually here on my son's behalf. We desperately need help with his 1985 Cherokee, or what I call "the never ending project". His 85 has a 2.8 that is dead, and recently he purchased a 4.2ltr I6 from a Wrangler with the intent to swap drivetrains. I asked him if he was sure the I6 would fit and he said yes. Of course he was wrong. Now, what kind of modifications to the firewall and/or front clip must we do to MAKE IT WORK? Are there engine and trans mount adapters that will help? My son loves his Jeep, so we are'nt interested in giving up. Any suggestions/hints/support would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
welcome to CT from PR,,, the swap can be done, and has been done,, soon some members that have done it or part take in a swap will shime in, and let you pick their brain

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to CT from Mountain Home, ID!! I wish I could help you on the swap, but I have no idea about switching to the 4.0 on the early models.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greeting from the other side of the valley! (Boise)

I'm not sure if this will help but there is a guy on Craigslist selling a 4.0L from a 2000 XJ for $650. That might fit better than the 4.2L you got. I have no idea whether that would work though!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Welcome from NJ, as for you dilema would you happen to have gotten the motor mounts from the 4.2. The mounts may be different from engine to engine. If you did n it still doesnt fit, go for a later 4.0 with the mounts. Also are you just swappin engines only or engine and trans along with tc. Sometimes the engine wont mate to the trans if the tranny is different or the bell housing has different mounting holes. Well hope this helps out a bit unless someone else here has a better idea of what to do.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
:hi: Welcome to CT from Boise, Idaho! :rock:

I know nothing about the swap. I'm sure that more will chime in.

It might be a good idea to start a new thread concerning your question in the "General Cherokee and Comanche Forums", as that thread would get much more traffic...
;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts