Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
There's a guy where I live running H.I.D. lighting in his XJ...But he's the only one I know of. It's actually a pretty nice upgrade if you like to play in the dark.
(Sucks if he's driving behind you though!)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
here in PR almost everyone has HIDs, there a pretty common mod, they thing is that with reflective headlights (what we have) you might get ppl blind in upcoming traffic, and depending on your state law thats a NO NO... its suggested if you go to HID get Projector style headlights, but projectors for the XJ are not cheap

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is HID Lighting?

·
Budget Master
1,145 Posts
your not the only one asking...

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I believe it stands for High Intensity Discharge. If you look at late-model BMW's, Benz's, and higher-end American trucks (Escalades, Denali's, etc) you'll see them. They're really bright, have a blue shade to them. They provide a light that more closely resembles sunlight, which iluminates the road better.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
The blinding issue is from people who run 90W lights instead of 55W Many of those who run the hotter lights melt the plastic headlight housings. The 55W is still a good light

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have HIDs on my 99 XJ. The HID bulbs are absolutely awesome, no doubt, but I'm not completely happy with my Hella housings. Not as sharp a cutoff as I'd like. Also, both my headlights are exactly the same, both of them have the point to the right (adjusting the headlights do nothing to help this). It seems like there should be a different headlight for the driver side as the passenger side, they should be mirror images of each other. Other than that, the HIDs are awesome.

I light up the road better than ever before. I haven't been flashed w/highbeams by oncoming drivers, so it's not too bad, I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
I am currently running IPF Fatboys. Not sure what the housings are. They give double the light on low beam and good high beams. 100% legal, no issues in some states like HIDs. I don't know about the law in CA now, but it used to be a good excuse to pull you over. Then they would go after tires sticking out, after market air intakes etc. The fat boys are based on wheat light technology. Brighter but you don't get flashed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CA law says something like as long as they are DOT/SAE approved, they are legal. But in order for them to be DOT/SAE approved, they have to be professionaly installed, so I did. My bulbs/kit is DOT approved, but the housings are e-codes (european spec, actually blinds oncoming drivers less than the DOT housings). Only reason they are not legal housings is all the light goes down to the road, not into the air to light up signs, but the HIDs take care of that, they reflect anything mildly reflective.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm running HID's in my XJ, I had a kit left over that I was running in my JK, so I got some bi-Xenon (HID high and low beam) bulbs to use in the Delta housings. Much better than the Delta's with halogen bulbs.

I have HIDs on my 99 XJ. Not as sharp a cutoff as I'd like. Also, both my headlights are exactly the same, both of them have the point to the right (adjusting the headlights do nothing to help this). It seems like there should be a different headlight for the driver side as the passenger side, they should be mirror images of each other.
There's a reason for that. You are really NOT supposed to use HID bulbs in a housing made for halogens. The two bulb types have totally different light patterns so the housings are made for the specific type of bulb. That's why the HID kits say "for offroad use only". They are not too bright in my XJ, but in the JK, they would blind you for sure. That's why I had them in my headlights and fogs.....lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I did a 35 watt HID conversion on my 95 XJ it was the best thing i ever did. Go with a 4300-6000 K temp for a nice birght clean white light. The 35 watt system is brighter than your high beams could ever dream of being. They have a sharp cut off so even though they are so bright the do not bother other drivers. You can find them on ebay pretty cheap. You will also need new housings.

FYI FOR ALL THAT CARE! HID conversions are ILLEGAL in most states. If your car/truck did not come with them factory it's not legal to put them in. If your one of those people that cares, this note is for you. For the rst of us please ignore.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes it converts to the H4 bulb. You will never ( or damn close ) have to replace them. They last way way longer than a normal H4 and are 10x brighter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts