Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I *may* be able to talk my mom out of her old Cherokee Sport(?) that has been sitting in her garage for the last 5 or so years. I think it's maybe a '93-'96 model. Obviously, it hasn't run for a good long time - several years, at least. I believe it was running fine when she quit driving it.

What advice do you guys have on getting it up and running again, if I get it? Would you expect that there are any megabuck parts that would need to be replaced, assuming it was in good working order when she hung it up? Or can I just drop in a new battery, fire her up, and sputter to the nearest gas station?

I really don't *need* the truck, but if I can get it running cheap then I have a toy to mod out so I can leave our other vehicles alone. I hate to haul it from Ohio to Fla only to have to spend (an easily anticipatable [is that a word? :confused:] fortune on the thing...)

Although I don't know much about it, I do know it has the 4.0/6. And, it's black. :rofl:

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I know people whom have found cherokee's in fields put a new battery in and new fuel and it fired right up. What I would do is just get some good fuel in it and crank it up. From there let us know if there are any problems and we can guide you in the right direction.

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Once it runs, change all the fluids,belts ad hoses.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Drain the fuel out, put new in it. It wouldnt hurt to change the plugs and wires. Get it running then work on everything else

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds better than expected... - Thanks!

Well, this sounds more positive than I expected. Sounds pretty much like what you would have always done to get an old car running. I was worried people would be telling me about new computers and siezed engines...

Thanks! :thumbsup:

We'll see if I really get it. I'm not holding my breath, but with her impending Alzheimer's, our historically rocky relationship, and a 1,200 mile tow to get it home, it wouldn't have been worth it if there was too much to worry about dollar-wise. Fluids, belts, and hoses I can deal with.

Thanks everyone for your feedback :hi: I guess I'll push a bit harder for this now...

·
Registered
606 Posts
Defiantly want to get as much of the old gas out of the tank before starting you may take fuel injectors out of engine and have them cleaned to remove the gum.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Always a good idea to change the oxygen sensor after that long

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd change a lot of stuff if I wanted it to be reliable. I'd start with just pulling a sample of the fuel from the bottom of the tank. If it's varnished, or contaminated, don't bother trying to start it. If it's still reasonable, screw it, throw a few more us gallons of fuel on top and just let it run. If it was sitting in a covered/closed garage and not exposed to lots of temperature change, the fuel might still be in decent shape. Along with all the other items that tend to degrade.

But, before you do that, change the engine oil and filter.

Things I'd change for the sake of reliability:
-Serpentine belt
-Injector O-rings
-Coolant/engine, tranny, diff oils
-If closed cooling system - the pressure bottle
-Both rad hoses, heater core hoses
-Flush the block, rad, and heater core
-Clean the IAC, TPS, and throttle body
-Change sparkplugs, plus cap, rotor and wires
-Change fuel filter AFTER you've burned all the old gas (if you didn't drain it)
-Most of the CCV lines, fittings and grommets will probably be screwed
-Take a peek at the airfliter, change/clean if needed

If it runs shitty afterwards or gets poor fuel economy, I'd change the O2 sensor, adjust the TPS, and go through the other sensor diagnostics as needed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it were me I woulnd't spend a lot of money untill you can get it running but that's just me.Once you get it running your going to have to go through the complete brake system to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just out of curiosity, why did she quit driving it if it was still running?

Dad died, and eventually she got tired of lifting the dog in and out of the Cherokee. So she drives the minivan all the time now (since the dog can hop in & out of that), and has for several years.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Drain the old gas first, go ahead and put a new fuel filter on it and add some STABIL to it to help with any old varnished fuel left in it.
Ck all other engine/trans fluids to make sure full.
Id pull the plugs and spray some type of oil in the cylinders. No WD40, some good penetrating oil or even fogging oil to cover the cylinder walls.
With the plugs out turn it over 5-10 seconds and respray oil. Dont have to drench it, just a little. Turn over again 5-10 seconds, install plugs and see if she fires up.
Id do that before I spent any other money on tune up parts etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts