Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got them today off a 1979 F250... going on the XJ this spring. the build will be posted up here as is moves along.

Dana 44 TNT Truss
5.13's
Lockers
Warn hubs
Over the knuckle steering
Chromoly shafts (rear will be 35 spline)
Spicer 760 joints
rear disc brakes
37" iroks, boggers, creepy crawlers, or trepadors
and bead locks

Will be build for trail use no major rock climbing or mud bogging... any suggestions?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Will be build for trail use no major rock climbing or mud bogging... any suggestions?

Only suggestion (right now) is to pony up for some chromo u-joints if you're going to run chromo shafts. The spicer u-joint will be the weak link otherwise, and when it breaks it will wreck the shafts!

And be prepared for some BSing around to bore out the spindles on the rear to put 35 spliners in them.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
thanks Donnie your dad and the hoist were alot of help loading the axles i didn't realize how much heavier they are compared to stock Cherokee axles

Only suggestion (right now) is to pony up for some chromo u-joints if you're going to run chromo shafts. The spicer u-joint will be the weak link otherwise, and when it breaks it will wreck the shafts!

And be prepared for some BSing around to bore out the spindles on the rear to put 35 spliners in them.
i thought about that and i think i rather have the some what cheap ujoint and warrantied shafts break before the ring or pinion... i might step it up to Alloy USA joint they wont break the bank and they are alittle stronger than stock replacement joints

and no i dont think ill rotate the inner C's unless really necassary still dont know what im doing about steering, but it will involve hydro assist with a YJ box

·
Registered
412 Posts
Lots of aftermarket shafts will NOT warrantee a failure when it was caused by the u-joint. Yukon flat out does not warantee their yokes. Others will not warantee if the yokes are screwed from an obvious u-joint related problem.

Either way, if you're running selectable hubs I'd suspect they will explode long before you break a gearset.

And isn't a YJ box exactly the same as an XJ box?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was just saying thursday how I wanted to get grandpa an electric winch for that hoist becuase I used the hand crank to dismantle that entire truck, and pick the complete chassis/engine.cab up onto my grandpa's trailer.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Jay, I think we have our work cut out for us. :cheers:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lots of aftermarket shafts will NOT warrantee a failure when it was caused by the u-joint. Yukon flat out does not warantee their yokes. Others will not warantee if the yokes are screwed from an obvious u-joint related problem.

Either way, if you're running selectable hubs I'd suspect they will explode long before you break a gearset.

And isn't a YJ box exactly the same as an XJ box?
was now aware of that warranty infomation thanks for the heads up! a YJ has a 3.1 fixed ratio compared to the XJs variable ratio it also has four mounting points and the XL only has three,,, and yes mike alot of work but over time

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
any ideas on wheels and tires? i would like to have beadlocks, they are not a must. would like to run in the 37" tire range... I was thinking H1 wheels if i stay with the 16.5" wheel or allied beadlocks if i go with 17" wheels. I would like to run a 15" wheel is possible but, I dont know if it will clear the brakes and or steering. anyone know how to disc the 60, or bore the hub for 35 spline shafts? i can search but just looking for input

1 - 17 of 17 Posts