Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes my headlights stay on after i turn them off. i push the switch in and out a few times before i hear like a relay click sound and they turn off. ive had this jeep since friday the 19th the running lights stop working 2 days ago.as a temp fix i ran power to the sidemarker front light direct to the bat and they all come on as well as the dash lights. all my fuses are fine. i assume this is a bad headlight switch/dimmer. or is there also a relay that could be the culprit? whats the easiest way to remove the headlight switch?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When you shut off the key with the headlights on there is a relay/timer that leaves the headlights on for 30sec. or so,so you can see to get in the house,open the garage door,whatever.Nothing is broke so don't fix it.Also,the running light issue could be a bad connection in the front harness behind the grill.Do you have taillights?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you shut off the key with the headlights on there is a relay/timer that leaves the headlights on for 30sec. or so,so you can see to get in the house,open the garage door,whatever.Nothing is broke so don't fix it.Also,the running light issue could be a bad connection in the front harness behind the grill.Do you have taillights?
no tail lights or dash lights.
so the headlights only stay on if you turn the key off first and then headlights? so if i turn the headlights off before the key they will always go off right?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct.Doublecheck your fuses.
so its just my running lights and instrument cluster t dont light up.the dimmer switch lights up the dome/floor lights no problem

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing. I have headlights, but no corner lights, no marker lights, no tail lights, and no dash lights. Dimmer switch still turns on the dome light, but that's it. Happened at 4:45 am on my way to work the other morning - I went to turn the dome light on and the switch pulled clear out of the dash and I lost all my lights. Country road with no lights... made for a pretty dark drive! I cracked my door open enough for the dome light to come on so I could see to get off the road, then put the switch rod back in and got my headlights to work, but everything else is still out. I need to get it fixed soon, cuz I can't really drive at night like that. :brickwall:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine's doing the same thing. I have headlights, but no corner lights, no marker lights, no tail lights, and no dash lights. Dimmer switch still turns on the dome light, but that's it. Happened at 4:45 am on my way to work the other morning - I went to turn the dome light on and the switch pulled clear out of the dash and I lost all my lights. Country road with no lights... made for a pretty dark drive! I cracked my door open enough for the dome light to come on so I could see to get off the road, then put the switch rod back in and got my headlights to work, but everything else is still out. I need to get it fixed soon, cuz I can't really drive at night like that. :brickwall:
what i did in the meantime is i spliced a wire into one of the sidemarker lights and connected it to the battery via a switch when i put power to it everything works. though this doesnt solve the problem, but if you splice the positive wire going to any sidemarker lights you can have a temporary fix .

·
Registered
1 Posts
This seems to be a big problem in the jeeps. First my headlights went out so I checked the fuses and they are all fine. Then I took out the headlamp switch and put in one out of my roommates car and everything worked. So I went and bought a new switch and now I have headlights and dome light, but no tail lights, dash lights or running lights. This is so aggravating.. :brickwall:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Check Your grounds

·
Registered
8 Posts
92 cherokee limited No Parking Lamps,Dash,lights!

Well this started after the battery went dead.
First the head lamp flashed after installing new battery.
reset security with key lock and unlock drivers and passenger door.
Head lamps stopped flashing after locking and unlocking passenger door.
Then the Parking lamps would not turn off.
So i pulled all inside fuse box fuses.
Finally they went out.
So then i put all fuses back in even the fuse that made them go out.

Now i have no parking lamps go figure!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't know if the delayed-headlights was offered until after '97, so for his '80s XJ's this may be a problem.
I dont know either,but if I turn the key off befor my lights they stay on,i'll check tonight and see if it shuts off after 30 sec or so?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no tail lights, but my break lights, reverse lights, and turn signals do work.. I checked its not the bulbs. I would like to check the fuses but not sure where to look or start..i am new a working on this jeep. I normally do work on my 05' toyota prerunner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now. I have spent hours trying to find what's wrong. I replaced the headlight switch and that didn't help, I checked all light bulbs and sockets and nothing. So them next I put in a bigger fuse in the one that has been popping and waited for hot wires and smoke, and got both. A blue wire going into a relay was melting and so tomorrow in the light again I'm gonna start tracing the wire and try to find where its shorting out. If I firgure it out I will let you all know where my is doing it at and maybe you can fix yours too. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the black and the blue wires by the rear left speaker, that's what mine was. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't know if the delayed-headlights was offered until after '97, so for his '80s XJ's this may be a problem.
My 88 Chief has the headlight delay option, but I've lost my dash lights now.

Fuse fine, installed new headlight switch.

Pulling dash apart later to check connections.

Budd

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My 88 Chief has the headlight delay option, but I've lost my dash lights now.

Fuse fine, installed new headlight switch.

Pulling dash apart later to check connections.

Budd
Update:

Found loose connection between headlight switch and fuse panel for tailights ... no tailights = no dash lights.

Budd

1 - 20 of 29 Posts