Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time lurker on these forum and have solved many of my issues, thank you all. But this latest problem has ben plaguing me for a while. I feel I am so close yet feel so far from this answer.
1999 Jeep Cherokee classic 4.0L 4x4 AT. The jeep was sitting for a year and a half while I was saving up for a new motor and parts. All the parts went in, new engine started up fine, break-in process went smoothly until a week later the check engine light came on for those two codes p1694 and p1698, No CCD communication. Never had a problem starting, running, or driving. I went through fuse boxes engine side and cabin side several times, every single ground and power cables engine side was replaced with heavier gauges, I have cleaned the grounds for the headlights, G107 & G108 have been cleaned and repositioned to a better ground location, and I have cleaned and replaced all the grounds behind the spare tire. I had heard there were ground locations behind both front seats but couldn't see any, maybe that was older models, if anyone knows of anymore grounds I would be happy to know about them regardless if they are causing my problem or not. Back on topic, p1698 was fixed by replacing the trans control module, that one was an easy victory with a multimeter. the p1694 code was causing me to lose my gauges and turn signals when the headlight switch was pulled out in either park light and headlight but would work fine when set to dim[twisted all the way right]. Even just a smidgen towards the brighter side and the problem would reoccur. Then an electrical gremlin came back to me, when I was checking the fuse panels I found that the rear wiper was missing, that was because I had pulled it about 5 or more years ago because the rear wiper and the defroster are switched on in the exact same instance that was causing me to lose my gauges. a separate issue but may be caused by the same problem, wires crossing power or shorting out? the rear wiper acts in the exact same way as the gauges where as everything works fine on the dim setting. In my dome light there is a circuit board with a plug in it that does something, I believe with the CCD circuit, because when I unplug this thing the p1694 code doesn't return and my gauges work perfectly fine with the lights on in any position of the switch but the rear wiper and the rear defroster will still activate. I have replaced the multifunction switch, the headlight switch, both of those relays, I found some frayed wires by the liftgate so I pulled those through taped them all up, shouldn't have a problem there I hope. The battery is only about half a year old. I have pulled the dash out a few times for replacing the heater core which I did the condenser at the same time, while the jeep was sitting I had the remove the HVAC box to fix the cowl leak this time. I was more than happy to take the time to fix it the right way but I fear the constant mangling of the dashboard and the many wires it contains is what has caused this problem that I am having. my next step now it to pull the wiring from the dome light and trace it back as far as I can go. my worst fear is having to pull the dash out entirely to find this problem but I will do what it takes to fix her! I very much appreciate any comments or insight onto my project. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your assistance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts