Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Cherokee sport 2door manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought this 1994 Cherokee sport and I absolutely love it. It’s the first car that I specifically choose to buy. We drove it back from Tennessee the Saturday after Christmas and let me say.... the drive back to Ohio with no heat is kinda rough. So we got the heater core and began tearing into the dash ( being carefull to keep bolts and screws organized) but one think happend that I really need to fix. I sheared the shifter knob off from the shaft. How do I fix this?! I think the previous owner used lock tight or something... or maybe it’s reversed thread? I don’t know. But can’t tips of fixing it and other tips you all might thing I need to know for replacing the heater core? I’m replacing the evaporator too, just to future proof it. Also want to put gauge cluster in that has a tachometer. Is that hard to do? Do I just need the right cluster and then plug it in? I have so many questions and so many plans for this jeep. I’ve always enjoyed cars but now that I have my own, I understand how it’s so addictive and fun to build your own personal machine. Here’s some pics...

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
Lots of questions. The gauge cluster will just bolt in. But you need to get the oil pressure and temp sending units to go with it. Probably about a 30 min job. You will have to replace the shifter lever. It just pulls off. Get one from a wrecking yard

·
Super Moderator
10,743 Posts
Hello and welcome to the club.
Why are you replacing the heater core? Was it leaking? That's one hell of a job! Did you troubleshoot why you have no heat? We have many post regarding the questions you are asking. Do a little searching and you will find plenty of answers. And lots of other info. Check out my signature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of questions. The gauge cluster will just bolt in. But you need to get the oil pressure and temp sending units to go with it. Probably about a 30 min job. You will have to replace the shifter lever. It just pulls off. Get one from a wrecking yard
Thanks for the answers. So the wiring is already set up for a tachometer? I’m still pretty inexperienced with modifications. Do you know of any videos to help me along? I have no clue where the sending units would go. And to pull off the shift lever, do I need to pull it off from below the boot cover? Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello and welcome to the club.
Why are you replacing the heater core? Was it leaking? That's one hell of a job! Did you troubleshoot why you have no heat? We have many post regarding the questions you are asking. Do a little searching and you will find plenty of answers. And lots of other info. Check out my signature.
The heat doesn’t work ( I know that’s an a obvious one) and the floor board on the passenger side is damp. My family had the jeep looked at while they had it in Tennessee and the shop said that it was the heater core. Not that I trust them because they didn’t seem to rehook the heater valve for testing it. We haven’t looked at the heater core yet. Waiting for the evaporator to come to finish removing the box. Thanks for the reply! I’ll definitely look at some other posts. Probably should have done that first. Sorry still new to this.

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
Temp sending unit should be on the driver side of the block in the back. I forget where the oil sender is on your engine, but it also will be on the block. Once you pull the bezel on the dash, six screws and the instruments will hang by the speedo cable and wiring harness. Unplug one or two plugs in the back, depending on trim level and detach the speedo cable and it all comes out in one piece. When you get your other one, good idea to check all the little bulbs in the back and replace them then if they are bad, or you can do an LED upgrade

Reactions: Andrew27

·
Super Moderator
10,743 Posts
A wet floor is a common sign of a bad heater core. I just wanted to make sure you didn't do all that work for nothing. You can pressure test it to be sure.
I wrote my old mileage and the date on top of my cluster when I switched mine. May never matter but It made me feel better.

·
Registered
181 Posts
welcome
take a look at my post Building Eugene

I did the tach add
and I fixed up a shifter that I call The Death Twinkie
have fun with your bild

1 - 8 of 8 Posts