Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you accepting me into the group. I have 2001 Jeep Cherokee with 185K on it and mechanic says motor is shot, compression down in the 20% range. They offered a Jasper motor but I would to find someone to rebuild the 4.0L it has. I live in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati so if anyone knows of guys around here that can do it please let me know.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh PA

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Do you trust this mechanic?
Are you capable of working on the vehicle yourself?

An engine swap is expensive enough that I would want a second opinion. A used engine can probably be found for less than $500 on marketplace or craigslist if you and your friends are able to do it yourself. If not, a crate engine is better than putting rebuild money into what you have. I replaced the head on my engine myself and I could have swapped the whole motor for less if I bought a used one.
A compression tester is $30 and you should be able to do it yourself. Did the shop give you a readout on what each cylinder was putting out for pressure? Did they inject oil in the cylinders and run the test again?

Why do you think the jeep needs a new engine, (what was is it doing)?

·
Registered
1993 XJ
140 Posts
Jasper engines are good engines and come with a warranty, if you have a shop rebuild your engine will it have a warranty? something to think about.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Please correct me if I'm wrong but are not Jasper engines rebuilt oem blocks? If they are I wouldn't see a reason to have yours rebuilt other than it is the original engine . Other than having matching numbers dont see why this route isn't taken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jasper engines are really good engines. Also expensive engines. They are quality engines too. Many shops won't use any other engines. Now at 185K miles, your engine is shot? Really? I have 330,000 plus and the beast of an engine will not stop running. The 4.0L has that reputation.

Only issue I have had is smog in CA. And its been the typical issue of Jeeps being hairline cracks in the exhaust manifold. When I was told that when mine failed. I couldn't and didn't believe it. Did all the fuel treatments etc. Then someone told me to do a pressure check from the exhaust. I put an air hose, start at low pressure (5 psi) into the tailpipe. Put a couple rags to keep air flowing forward. At about 10 or 15psi (don't remember), felt air coming from the exhaust manifold. Replaced it and no issue passing CA smog. And the oil filter adapter gasket failed. Pain to replace. Otherwise, a beast of a motor and trans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts