Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1991 Cherokee Laredo. The clutch is tough to shift and the drivetrain is making noise. As I brake, in neutral, I hear noise coming from the tranny area that quietens when I am not in motion. The release bearing also stops making noise when I depress the clutch.
I changed the rear diff fluid, it's quiet now, and will soon do the transfercase, front diff and tranny.
Another important question!
I'm looking at a 1996 Cherokee 2dr to be used as a donor. My main goal is to salvage the drivetrain. Are they compatible? And be easily swapped?
What is the change over year?
The 1991 is a 4l HO with a 5 spd, I don't have the specs on the 1996 yet, I plan on checking it out in the next few days.
I've searched and searched to see if the suspension and drive train are the same, but have had little luck.
I like my Jeep.
Somebody help me asap!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome to the site

·
Registered
250 Posts
welcome to ct, where in canada are you from?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in Regina, Sask. The Jeep was bought for travelling the lease roads in the oil patches. I love the LO 4!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still haven't been able to find info on swaping drive trains from a 1996 to my 1991. I have learned that the '96 donor is a 4.0l w/5 spd as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts