Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very frustrated over my 97 xj issues right now. I need help figuring out what the issue is please. So the jeep was running fine. I'm in Texas and it's summer and hot AF. I went to start it one morning and it almost started then just wouldn't turn over. I just let it sit till the next day. The next day the battery was dead. I got a jump start and drove it a couple of miles to the store and back. Went to start it the next day. Battery is dead. Bought a new battery
Checked all the fuses and the little black box things in the fuse box. They were all fine. Car started right up.mext. morning dead battery. Got a jump start to go to the store again on my way out of the parking lot the died. I tried to jump it again and nothing wouldnt start or even try to turn over so I walked home. Went back later to get the car it started right up. Drove it home. Now the battery's always dead and if I get a jump start it dies when I stop . I got it tower home and now it just sits. Any ideas what's wrong?

·
Premium Member
10,307 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CA

The first thing I would look at is the alternator. What does the voltage gauge, if you have one in the instrument cluster, say? It should say around 13 - 14 volts when running

·
Super Moderator
11,075 Posts
Check your grounds, the connection to the alt. recharge the battery, and load test the charging system. The alt doesn't have an external regulator it's in the ECM. Alternator voltage isn't always a good indicator. You need the amperage output. You can take the alt to an advance auto and they can test it. If it's fine, it may be in ECM. But I'd lean toward the alternator. In the FWIW column, check the belt. make sure it's not slipping.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I'd also vote to check grounds, battery connections, and of course any codes.
When it runs, it runs good? Or is it sputtering and bucking a lot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd also vote to check grounds, battery connections, and of course any codes.
When it runs, it runs good? Or is it sputtering and bucking a lot?
When it runs it runs great! No sputtering or any indication that there is a problem. ( that's after i jump start it and come to a stop at a light then it dies and won't jump start again for a while like maybe an hour or so then I can jump it agzin) I'm going to replace the alternator. Even if it doesn't fix the problem it can't hurt to have a new one. I think that's a good place to start. I'll let you guys know if that fixed it. Thank you so much for your knowledge and guidance . I really appreciate it oh and I did put brand new battery terminals on and a new ground wire. And we checked the connections all are good

1 - 5 of 5 Posts