Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
Could I ask where did you get the awesome winch and front bumper from? I'm wanting to put the same set up on my recently purchased 2000 sport cherokee

Registered
1991 Cherokee Laredo, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 31" BFG Mudders, Smittybuit F/R Bumpers...
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a Smittybilt XRC front bumper with bull bar, a Smittybilt winch, and a Smittybilt XRC rear bumper with tire carrier. I like them a lot. Installation is a chore, especially when done by yourself, because the bumpers are very heavy duty, but it鈥檚 not hard if you have any aptitude at all.

Registered
1991 Cherokee Laredo, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift, 31" BFG Mudders, Smittybuit F/R Bumpers...
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A couple of pics鈥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Registered
Your XJ is nicely done and I like your trailer too. I have been looking halfheartedly for a trailer project. The biggest drawback is that I'd have to redo the gate on my sideyard to store it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks! I have more things to do with the Cherokee but I'm happy with how it's going. I may build a fold out platform on the trailer for a tent set up. Or maybe I'll just use it for hauling stuff and stick with the overlander plan and build a platform in the back of the Jeep. Lots of options...

Registered
I used an engine hoist to install mine ...damn thing weighs a ton especially with the winch . Took 3 people to get it in and out of my wife's jeep when she went to pick it up.....

Attachments

Reactions: 74Plb

Registered
My friend had his installed at a offroad shop in Portland, Or. In fact he had everything installed at the shop except the winch.
He found that his new 31's rubbed on the lower control arms. So he put on some 1 1/4 spacers. His is a stick. Given the choice that's the way I'd go too.
If I had unlimited funds this 4.6 stroker would be nice . My wife just laughed at me!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I really like the lift I installed (Rubicon Express 3.5鈥). It allows decent clearance on the 31鈥 BFG mudders I run (not on the Cherokee in the pictures). I use stock rims and the backspace makes them tight on the inside up against the rear springs. I just installed Spidertrax 1.25鈥 wheel spacers and that provided enough clearance to run chains in the winter (needed to make it home where I live). Any higher lift and you need to get a lot of other things changed out, and I鈥檓 building an Overlander, not a Rock Crawler鈥

Registered
I've always had a set of chains in my Jeep(s) but I've never had to put them on. Probably a few times I should have.
You must have a pretty steep drive and/or alot of snow and ice.
My XJ is stock and I think I'll keep it that way for now. I bought this one in July of last year. It's mostly sorted out now hopefully. I wanted to start with a fully functional Jeep before doing any mods. My backup lights don't work unless I wiggle the shifter, one of these days I will take it off and clean it.
The only other item is with the cruise control. When I put on the left turnsignal the cruise drops off. Just changing lanes before the detent it's ok.
I'm not sure of which brand of spacer my friend used but he's not one to pinch a penney on safety related items.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Steep and rough driveway, plenty of snow. My 鈥渄riveway鈥 is about half a mile long and wraps up the side of a ridge. It鈥檚 just dirt and rock with some road base in a few areas to help smooth things out a bit, but there are a couple of places where my 鈥渋nclinometer鈥 shows about 15掳/16掳 slope (30掳/32掳 Grade)! So with snow on it that鈥檚 kind of tough to get up, even with chains. Not a complaint really, cause I love living off-grid on the top of a mountain, but it does make thing 鈥渋nteresting鈥 some times. When I see larger winter storms heading my way I leave a vehicle parted about 4 miles down my 鈥渕ain road鈥 near a real paved road, and use my tracked Polaris Ranger XP 1000 to get in and out. Too much fun!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts