Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Chris. I have a 98 K2500 with 5.7 v-8 and truck will start but not stay running. It dies within seconds. Can you......oh wait, this is a jeep forum?

Doh!

:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Welcome back Chris. It :rolleyes:is a Chevy, what did you expect?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Dang noobs lol. How are ya bud?

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome back Chris. It :rolleyes:is a Chevy, what did you expect?
What's that under your hood? :p

Dang noobs lol. How are ya bud?
Doing well. Still out looking for a jeep but picked up this 98 GMC for lumber/pellet duty.

It ran fine for two weeks after I bought it from my neighbor then just stopped starting. I put in new plugs, wires, cap n rotor, and starter. Battery fully charged. Now it starts and runs for a couple seconds and dies. It keeps running on starting fluid which makes me think it is fuel related. Pump is pushing 62 psi on "run" and drops to 57ish while running. VATS doesn't seem to be a suspect since the security light ain't flashing or staying on.

(scratching head)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Oh you were serious about the truck not running? Ok then, is it throwing a code at all? What is a VATS? Check fuses for fuel pump or tcb. Sounds like some guys suggest resetting the security sys. Others claim fuel filter (doubt it), and yet still others point to the fuses, which is the direction Im leaning.

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh you were serious about the truck not running? Ok then, is it throwing a code at all? What is a VATS? Check fuses for fuel pump or tcb. Sounds like some guys suggest resetting the security sys. Others claim fuel filter (doubt it), and yet still others point to the fuses, which is the direction Im leaning.
What is tcb?

Only way to reset security system (VATS) is doing a procedure involving the security light but mine is not flashing or staying on like it needs to so I assume it is functioning.

I hot wired the pump and it ran continuously and makes no change when I start it. It also runs when key is "on".

No codes.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The tcb fuse is for the body control module. Rough guess that it is number 23, but Im not making any promises.

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Yes it has. Lots of stuff going on.
No the treadwrights are long gone. Along with the wheels. Boo hoo hoo. I regret that. I just picked up a set of Goodyear Kevlar 35's. And went to 4.5" but they rub so I can't wheel till I get that sorted.
I dealing with some major family issues right now so everything is on hold. And the corona virus has thrown a wrench into just about every thing else.

How things with you? I'm very glad to hear from you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts