Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So let me start off by saying the jeep I have is a 1999 cherokee 4.0 classic
It seems to be having problems everywhere and I can seem to figure out its problems and causes.

I know it has a random misfire along with cylinder 1 and 4 misfiring. 90 compression in cylinder 1. Leaks trans fluid from the cooler lines. Burns oil at a very slow rate. Struggles to idle and idles at just under 1k rpm. Occasionally but rarely lags as in when I put the pedal to the floor, it struggles to go 5mph. One of my buddies who runs and owns a garage specializing in engine and trans replacement told me that it seems to be a problem with the timing, something about the camshaft being off and causing a domino effect.

The things that were replaced (with used parts from another 4.0 cherokee) are distributor shaft, throttle body (if that's the correct term), fuel injectors. Spark plugs are new. Champion brand.

Oil just changed yesterday with 5w30 conventional 5 quarts and 1 quart Lucas high mileage heavy duty oil stabilizer which actually seems to have made it run a little smoother. I put the lucas high mileage fuel treatment in the tank at E and filled completely with premium gas.

Motor is about to roll over to 334,000 miles.

Here are the codes it currently has

P0301
P0138
P1494
P0780
P0141
P0300
P0304
P3814
B0000
B1400
B0307
C0301

Any and all help would be immensely appreciated. I came here because I dont really have a hefty wallet to just replace the motor or throw in some expensive sensors that I cant return to get no positive solutions or results.

·
Registered
7,377 Posts
Well I was going to say pull the head and prepare for a headgasket replacement but your "buddy at a shop" says its timing, and you replaced the distributor so.........it could be that you incorrectly installed the dizzy and aren't getting spark correctly so you have misfires, or at 334,xxx miles your timing chain has had enough and is skipping. You need to verify the timing is correct, verify the dizzy is installed right, and then run a compression test. If it still has no compression (90 is not enough), then you'll probably find the valves are worn out and your headgasket is shot.

2001 Cheep Jerokee XJ 2WD Automatic 4-Door
37 Posts
Sorry to read about all the codes and problems with your XJ. Recently, mine threw the same misfire code and I was having issues with idling. Turns out, I just had bad battery terminal clamps and replacing them cleared it up. Not saying that could fix your misfire solution, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to make sure they are tight and in good shape. The newer Jeep’s seem to be really sensitive to misfire and you will get a code for something as simple as a lose battery terminal. But yeah, You should definitely check the distributor and the timing chain like xjsuperman said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was going to say pull the head and prepare for a headgasket replacement but your "buddy at a shop" says its timing, and you replaced the distributor so.........it could be that you incorrectly installed the dizzy and aren't getting spark correctly so you have misfires, or at 334,xxx miles your timing chain has had enough and is skipping. You need to verify the timing is correct, verify the dizzy is installed right, and then run a compression test. If it still has no compression (90 is not enough), then you'll probably find the valves are worn out and your headgasket is shot.
Thank you for the advice. I will get right on that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to read about all the codes and problems with your XJ. Recently, mine threw the same misfire code and I was having issues with idling. Turns out, I just had bad battery terminal clamps and replacing them cleared it up. Not saying that could fix your misfire solution, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to make sure they are tight and in good shape. The newer Jeep’s seem to be really sensitive to misfire and you will get a code for something as simple as a lose battery terminal. But yeah, You should definitely check the distributor and the timing chain like xjsuperman said.
When I got the jeep, it had a mess of wire problems and a hack job of a stereo and sub installation. There is even a button under the steering wheel that has a wire that runs to the starter. When ya press the button, it turns over the motor. There was wire taken from what I assume was a lamp or some kind of household appliance and used as speaker wire. It was ugly. I had to rewire the hatch wiring harness. That went well. But anyway, yeah there are like 3 extra wires hook up to the positive terminal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also update, muffled fell off, all codes disappeared but the misfire codes and the O2 codes

·
Registered
3 Posts
So let me start off by saying the jeep I have is a 1999 cherokee 4.0 classic
It seems to be having problems everywhere and I can seem to figure out its problems and causes.

I know it has a random misfire along with cylinder 1 and 4 misfiring. 90 compression in cylinder 1. Leaks trans fluid from the cooler lines. Burns oil at a very slow rate. Struggles to idle and idles at just under 1k rpm. Occasionally but rarely lags as in when I put the pedal to the floor, it struggles to go 5mph. One of my buddies who runs and owns a garage specializing in engine and trans replacement told me that it seems to be a problem with the timing, something about the camshaft being off and causing a domino effect.

The things that were replaced (with used parts from another 4.0 cherokee) are distributor shaft, throttle body (if that's the correct term), fuel injectors. Spark plugs are new. Champion brand.

Oil just changed yesterday with 5w30 conventional 5 quarts and 1 quart Lucas high mileage heavy duty oil stabilizer which actually seems to have made it run a little smoother. I put the lucas high mileage fuel treatment in the tank at E and filled completely with premium gas.

Motor is about to roll over to 334,000 miles.

Here are the codes it currently has

P0301
P0138
P1494
P0780
P0141
P0300
P0304
P3814
B0000
B1400
B0307
C0301

Any and all help would be immensely appreciated. I came here because I dont really have a hefty wallet to just replace the motor or throw in some expensive sensors that I cant return to get no positive solutions or results.
I had the 1/4 misfire code on my 97. Turned out to be the cam sensor under the distributor rotor. You can check it for impedance to see if it’s out of spec. Other things to check are plug condition and gap, plug wire impedance and crank position sensor. My cps and cam sensor were both too high in resistance. I think the cam sensor was $14. No problems since. Good luck 👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts