Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited with the 5.9 and I am in need of a front drive shaft for the 4 by 4 I was gonna pick one up from an older jeep I believe A 95 That has the inline 6 and I was wondering if you guys knew if this would be compatible or if I'm gonna have to look for specifically the drive shaft for the 4 by 4 connecting to the front axle from a 5.9

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
Hmmm, good question. I think they are the same driveline, but not sure. The thing to do is measure them both and compare

Reactions: DaingMaing

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
T

HATS the pickle, mine is MIA
Measure from tip of the yoke to the tip of the other yoke. TBH, I'm pretty sure they'll be the same, besides they have a shaft and a spring in them. They will shrink or extend to make the correct size.

Make sure that the shaft has a double cardan joint(Two u-joints right next to each other) at the transfer case side. While you're at it you should consider replacing the u joints and the cardan joint while you have it out. The joints are roughly $25 a piece... (3 all day on the shaft)

Congrats BTW, there aren't that many 9'ers left out there running around. They're getting harder to find, let alone in decent no rust shape!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Measure from tip of the yoke to the tip of the other yoke. TBH, I'm pretty sure they'll be the same, besides they have a shaft and a spring in them. They will shrink or extend to make the correct size.

Make sure that the shaft has a double cardan joint(Two u-joints right next to each other) at the transfer case side. While you're at it you should consider replacing the u joints and the cardan joint while you have it out. The joints are roughly $25 a piece... (3 all day on the shaft)

Congrats BTW, there aren't that many 9'ers left out there running around. They're getting harder to find, let alone in decent no rust shape!
She still runs like a dream, burning rubber all stock, I gotta deal with a few cosmetic things, like the hood having a ton off cracked body filler, finding a smoked rear passenger window, and a passenger seat leather. The sunroof needs recalibration as well so it will seal properly, but all in time, and plenty of questions to ask. Thanks again brother for all your help.

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
I have a good passenger seat in black leather

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
I would pull the pads off the frame unless you need it. Saves okn shipping that way $40

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
First, where are you at?

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
OK, I will take a pic and send it later. Do you have PayPal?

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
Man, feels like the mountains out today. Cold and blowing
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Fixture
White Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
White Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
As far as I know, the power works. I can test it once it is out. The reason I would remove the cushions and send them is that shipping an odd shaped thing like a seat would be very expensive. Plus, I could put the seat faces together to protect them. Those people are not gentle with things. Shipped a Jeep motor back east in a wooden crate I made for it. Somebody put a fork through the oil pan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As far as I know, the power works. I can test it once it is out. The reason I would remove the cushions and send them is that shipping an odd shaped thing like a seat would be very expensive. Plus, I could put the seat faces together to protect them. Those people are not gentle with things. Shipped a Jeep motor back east in a wooden crate I made for it. Somebody put a fork through the oil pan
No rush, im ready when you are

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
OK

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
It will be quiet, but good. You have a great Christmas too

1 - 20 of 26 Posts