Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm new here. Just few days since introduced myself.
Today something strange happened, I decided to wash engine in Cherokee and upon finishing wanted to start it and get dry by running, but...
Jeep won't start! It never happened before, rusty rig has been few times deep in water and river and never got any problems. Interesting is that check engine doesn't come on when ignition is on. In fact, doesn't come at all and of course, can not withdraw any codes.
Is there something so major that got wet and computer is not responding or what?
Hood is still open and I'm waiting to see if it dries itself.
Please help
Davey

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and yes. Everything was soaked with plenty of water but why famous check engine light doesn't come on at beginning when I turn the key?:dunno:
Even before, I use to get wet a lot and it never happened that it won't start.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
You're not supposed to really get either of those two things wet. The CEL engine light may not come on for different reasons. I'm not familiar with OBD-I, so I don't have much to guess at. Is it possible that the CEL light bulb is actually blown, therefore even if it is triggered it won't light up? Have you tried pulling codes anyway?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is one of things I found somewhere on internet:
"The auto shutdown is usually a “rollover” sensor to cut all power to fuel and spark in the event it becomes a turtle."
So, what about this auto shutdown? Is it possible that my engine management reached this "state"?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Have you checked all the fuses? I'm assuming you have a fuse block like I do on my 1998 under the hood.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I checked all of them several times and found nothing wrong. Is there any kind of major reset or something?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Yes, I checked all of them several times and found nothing wrong. Is there any kind of major reset or something?
Disconnect the battery ground for 30 minutes. Reconnect then start the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did it. Just reconnected and nothing.
Now battery is on recharging till the morning. It's better to continue tomorrow as now I'm getting crazy.:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Did it. Just reconnected and nothing.
Now battery is on recharging till the morning. It's better to continue tomorrow as now I'm getting crazy.:devil:
Well I didn't see anything where you said the motor wouldn't turn over so I'm assuming that the starter is engaging, the motor is turning, but it won't start.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of course, let's leave the basics to someone else. After all this is talk between people who understand each other. Starter is fine, engine is turning but obviously there is no spark or injection or both. I just removed computer and opened to see if there is moisture in it and I found that someone long before I got my hands on it, did some soldering in computer. Some of this rubbery thing inside for protection have been removed and I don't know what for are those few additional wires.
Main problem is that I'm still not sure where problem is, in computer or somewhere else. Why there is no f*****g "check engine" light? If I could've withdrawn some codes, OK then. But like this, I don't know what to do.
I have one more XJ for parts but this one is from '89 i think. Are computers same on those models so I can swap them and try?
Sorry on my bad and plain english but I'm giving my best.
Davey

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Of course, let's leave the basics to someone else. After all this is talk between people who understand each other. Starter is fine, engine is turning but obviously there is no spark or injection or both. I just removed computer and opened to see if there is moisture in it and I found that someone long before I got my hands on it, did some soldering in computer. Some of this rubbery thing inside for protection have been removed and I don't know what for are those few additional wires.
Main problem is that I'm still not sure where problem is, in computer or somewhere else. Why there is no f*****g "check engine" light? If I could've withdrawn some codes, OK then. But like this, I don't know what to do.
I have one more XJ for parts but this one is from '89 i think. Are computers same on those models so I can swap them and try?
Sorry on my bad and plain english but I'm giving my best.
Davey
Well without a check engine light, and bulb is good, I suspected the computer. I was hoping that disconnecting the battery would reset it.

I read somewhere else about a bad ground strap that kept the computer from working correctly and they had no start and no CHECK ENGINE light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There was one more thing that I forgot to mention. As I'm seaman and stay on a ship for 3-4 months, after I leave home, 15 days later battery is so drained that my wife can't even start the engine to run for a while. Nothing was wrong with battery, new one installed. Can it be related to this issue right now? Maybe battery was draining through some computer contact or so and now it's dead?:brickwall:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
There was one more thing that I forgot to mention. As I'm seaman and stay on a ship for 3-4 months, after I leave home, 15 days later battery is so drained that my wife can't even start the engine to run for a while. Nothing was wrong with battery, new one installed. Can it be related to this issue right now? Maybe battery was draining through some computer contact or so and now it's dead?:brickwall:

But I thought you said the motor would turn over...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, motor turns over. Today and usually, every day. But if I leave it for 15 days, battery would drain. Today everything was fine, i installed new brake rotors and pads (!), checked oil, water, greased drive shafts U-joints... cleaned it inside, vacuumed, then I said, hell ... why not even wash it completely? After that, I looked at muddy and dirty engine bay and said myself... why not? And washed it all with some degreaser, good industrial soap and water.
As I said before, when it was still wet, I tried to start engine to dry it by running and... nada. Engine was turning over but thing wouldn't start. Lately, I noticed that even check engine won't come on when I turn the key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New (used) ECU computer

So, as an update. Just ordered another ECU from E-bay. Hope it will work now.
I'd like to know, I see many XJs running in water till half the front grille (OK they have snorkel for engine air suction, that's fine) but I always keep wondering what happens with distributor and ECU computer? How is it possible that everything is still operational?:confused:
Davey

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
So, as an update. Just ordered another ECU from E-bay. Hope it will work now.
I'd like to know, I see many XJs running in water till half the front grille (OK they have snorkel for engine air suction, that's fine) but I always keep wondering what happens with distributor and ECU computer? How is it possible that everything is still operational?:confused:
Davey
Well fresh water isn't a very good conductor. Salt water is. I'm not sure what was added to the water you were using, but if it was a good conductor and enough of it found it's way into a critical area...

Keep us updated, it will be interesting to see if this fixes the problem.

I know that I have read many places that you need to water proof your jeep, not just put a snorkle on it. I have never looked up to see what all is involved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back on the road (trail)

So, engine ECU received through E-bay and installed. Engine started immediately.
Then, hour later after I was busy fixing registration plates and those stuff, again engine was cranking but no start, I said fuck, what is it now? After checking some things again, there was no even cranking, no ignition, no famous "check engine" light... nothing. Checked all fuses and relays and found that there was no supply to fuse for ignition. Again, complete box removed and after jerking these wires underneath, got crank and ignition and engine again started but without instruments???!!! I was completely crazy! Again jerking wires touching, checking, pulling and I don't know what else and got everything! So, where and what I don't know.
Thing is, how can I go now on good old places on the hills and to be sure that everything will be fine?
Please guys, one stupid question: what is (are) hazard lamps or lights? Are those lamps for antilock, check engine, seat belts and those things?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts