Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new serp belt,now when it idles its quiet,but when my auxillary fan comes on (engine uses more power) it starts squeeling again,when fan clicks off,cherokee is quiet again......any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A new belt will strech when it is used for a while so try to retighten.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
This is a common problem, no worries. You just haven't tightened it enough.

These serp belts call for a high amount of tension (between 180-200 lb ft when new, and then between 160-180 lb ft when "broken in" - according to my FSM). Most people that change the belts on the XJ's don't know this and don't tighten it enough.

Tighten that thing up, you should have less than .5" of play between any of the longer stretches of the belt once installed.

If you don't have a tool to measure the tension, then they can be rented at Autozones (actually comes out close to free once you return it to them). Other Auto stores may rent them as well, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
umm i think i got about 80-100 miles on it, if that.it was installed by my local custom 4x4 shop this last thursday.now it doesnt do it anymore ,well i mean(the last time i drove it,about 8pm wed night,i had no problems.but i still get a slight chirp at startup.the thing that really threw me off was it only did it when the aux fan cut on in front of the pullys by radiator.it would click on and off every 60 secs-on-fan squeeled loud-off ran and idled normal and quiet.but it was so loud people were coming around to see what the loud noise was.60 secs on 60 off,in sequence with fan coming on and off.also i turned on my heater and it squeeled once real loud,then i turned it off and it stopped.is this all linked to loose belt or alternator? thanks fellas

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well.....im not the best mechanic,im great with tools and im learning my jeep very well since ive owned it,as i go.but i was told i can overtighten the belt.ive put alot of cash into my jeep this fall/winter,for next summer preparations. and id hate to be an idiot and trash something cause i do something im not sure about.ill stop in my local shop tommorrow.but i appreatiate the stress relief,and tips....... thanks again

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know where the bolts at,should i just turn it a bit and keep testing it? how much is too much...does it have a max point or can u break it?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
You sure the aux. fan, when it kicks on, isn't blowing coolant or something onto the new belt?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
today my 4x4 shop looked at it,well figures allday i have no problems also.belt is tight it seems.now i get a slight chirp at startup......my mechanic is GOOD and is honest.he says the belts plenty tight.he mentioned possible alternator failure starting.makes sense being it only did it when aux fan cut on.and once i stopped it by turning off my heat.but now i can use everyhting......problems kinda confusing me,i had a hi power stereo amp wire on my battery and it ran to nothing,wonder if this is causing some funk or was.stil mystery at this time.i want whatever to just break so i can fix it,hehe

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
What's the mileage on your rig? I still think its a tension issue and not the alternator going bad. I was having the same problem last year and got the alternator tested, and it was fine. I just had to keep playing with the belt tension to get it right.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
today my 4x4 shop looked at it,well figures allday i have no problems also.belt is tight it seems.now i get a slight chirp at startup......my mechanic is GOOD and is honest.he says the belts plenty tight.he mentioned possible alternator failure starting.makes sense being it only did it when aux fan cut on.and once i stopped it by turning off my heat.but now i can use everyhting......problems kinda confusing me,i had a hi power stereo amp wire on my battery and it ran to nothing,wonder if this is causing some funk or was.stil mystery at this time.i want whatever to just break so i can fix it,hehe
I hate to say it but im 99% sure your mechanic is steering you in the wrong direction. Your problem is extremely common this time of year because there is more moisture in the air causing the belt to slip when during other parts of the year it wouldnt. Especially since its a new belt. It takes 5 minutes to tighten it up and give it another shot and go from there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok......ill take the advise fellas,tommorrow ill crank down on it a few more turns. DAVE:mileage is 110,000 on this one .thanks again

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quik question again........do cherokees or the 4.0's fuel injectors tick slightly or im asking if its common and harmless in this engine.Ive only been a cherokee owner for 8 months so im learning.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The aux fan kicks on when the AC kicks on. So it is the AC clutch and friction that is causing the belt to chrip. A very common problem. Now your mechanic has actually "looked" at your Jeep so he may be right, however from what you are describing I'd say your belt isn't tight enough.

If you look up the specs on how tight the belt should be it is really high, like 120 foot pounds (if I remember correctly).

I'm not even sure that 1/2 of give is correct. I bought a handy little tool to adjust my belt.

I had adjusted the tightness of my belt, it chripped occasionally. I got this and checked it, the belt was LOOSE! Now my belt doesn't chirp.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
ok......ill take the advise fellas,tommorrow ill crank down on it a few more turns. DAVE:mileage is 110,000 on this one .thanks again
You dont have to start off with a whole lot of tension, just tighten until you dont hear the sound anymore.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts