thank you

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hi all this is my second XJ and i wanted to beef up the suspension
with HD sway bars and shocks. the goal is to make it less roll over prone
for my daughter. any suggestions?

thank you
Internal roll bar. Simple one just goes over the heads of the driver and passenger.

They have complete internal roll cages for about $900.

There isn't a lot you can do to keep a Jeep from rolling, except driving it correctly, so really an internal roll bar or cage is going to be the safest thing for your daughter.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Addco sway bars will help with the roll, shocks won't do anything IMO, and teach her how to drive it properly. Good Luck!!

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
It's quite surprising how stable a stock XJ (hell, even a decently modified XJ) is. Before I lifted I was unfortunately caught in an "emergency lane change maneuver" at about 70 MPH because someone decided to cut off a tractor trailer. The XJ did not feel like it was close to tipping or rolling. Even now at 33's, taking turns the XJ doesn't tip very much.

Best advice is to teach your daughter how to drive an SUV. Explain that the center-of-gravity is higher than that of a car, which increases the chances of it rolling if caught in that type of situation. I would recommend not installing any sort of lift kit on it until she's a good driver (if that is something that you wanted to do) this way she can learn what a stock height XJ feels like first. Explain that taking turns should be done at the correct speeds, and that it's not a sports car, so exit ramps at 65 MPH will not end in positive results. Take her out a few times with you in the driverseat, show her how to drive it. Then switch seats with her, and give her a lesson.

Best of luck, you and her will be just fine!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Yeah I'll add I am not concerned about rolling over (at least on surface streets) at all, but I have a daughter (two actually) and I cannot bring myself to tell you not to worry about it. You know how the newbies find ways of doing things you wouldn't expect. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts