Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all

I have had my lift kit fitted and the Jeep looks awsome.:thumbsup: One problem my back tyres are rubbing on my leaf springs. :thumbdown: Well not the leaf springs as such but the bolt that goes through the leaf pack (Rubicon Springs). The springs will rub on flex. I know the tyres are to big but I want to keep them (32x11.5x15 Muddies). No other rubbing after some minor trimming on the rear inside guard.

I know I will have to buy new rims but what size backspacing do I go. I need to move the tyre away from the leaf pack. Standard 15x7 rim but I don't know what back spacing I have. It's hard to read but you can see a photo of the rims below.

If for example I have 3.75 backspacing do I need to go 3.50 or 4.0:confused:
Will a biger rim ie. 15x7.5 make it better or worse.

Thanks guys/girls. I don't want to but 31x10.5 tyres.

Aussie Rob

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
Stock backspacing is 5" or so. Try to get 4.5 or 4.0" backspaced wheels and that should eliminate the rubbing.

Any pictures of the lift on?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your a champion mate.

As soon as I can get a photo I'll have it up here for all to see.
Been a while coming this lift. I just want to get it out in the bush, just this rubbing problem to sort out.

Aussie Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can anyoe tell me if a bigger rim ie. 15x7.5 will make it better or worse.

Just saw some cheap rims size 15x7.5

Rob

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
This may be a good time to get a new set of rims that can be used with various tire sizes as your Jeep keeps "growing." 15x8 is a very common size, and any backspacing between 4"-4.5" is usually the way to go. Stay with a 15" tire because you'll have many tire size options as well.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I'm the oddball. I use a 15x10" wheel with 3.75" backspacing. I have 32x11.50 mounted on them and no rubbing.

·
This is Ames mister...
344 Posts
It does not matter how wide the wheel is. All that matters is the backspacing.
To elaborate on that - if you have 2 tires, 1 10" wide and 1 8" wide, but they both have the same b.s. then they will both have the same "inner" measurement (i.e. 5" b.s. will still rub no matter what) but the 10" tire would stick out more...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have 32x11.5" MT's on 15x8 cragers with 3.75" bs. no rub anywhere. they only stick out about 1" past the stock front flares and .5" past the rear flares

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
i have 32x11.5" MT's on 15x8 cragers with 3.75" bs. no rub anywhere. they only stick out about 1" past the stock front flares and .5" past the rear flares
Same size tires on 15x10 wheels with the same backspace, and mine stuck out well more than 1" from the stock flares. I'd guess about 3" past the stock flares.

This worked out well when I put on the Bushwackers though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
15x8 3.75 back space is a good wheel to run.....it wont rub,and you can fit a wide range of different size tires,without rubbage...from 235/75/15 to 37x12.5x15...providing u have enough lift to accomodate 37`s....what im tryin to say is,if u run the 15x8 3.75 wheel,as your jeep progresses u can run whatever tire u want,without having to change the rim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts