Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. This is my first post. I am trying to find info about a 2004 jeep grand cher freedom edition that i am getting ready to purchase. :confused: if anyone has any help that would be great. the one i want has 85000 miles. I just got screwed on a van that had high mileage.....the motor needs rebuilt.:brickwall: Does the 4.0 in this truck run for more than 150000 miles....or will i need to replace it in about 2 yrs. Thanks!

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Nope, the 4.0L are bullet proof! If you change the oil when you are suppose to, they will last about 250k miles :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The problem is you never know how the engine was treated or maintained. Look at the oil, listen to the engine running, but yeah the 4.0L is a really solid motor, and a torque monster.

Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Welcome to CT from Ohio...as stated above, the 4.0 is pretty durable...even if it will need rebuilt, cost to do so is not near as expensive as others...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome to CT from Washington state. The 4.0 in my XJ had 185K on it when I bought it. It had a lifter tick at idle and it was leaking oil out of all the usual places. I have driven and 4wheeled the piss out of this thing for 4 years, now. I have also maintained it religiously. It now has 240K on the motor and she still runs like a top and gets about 20 MPG on the highway. Taken proper care of, the 4.0 is brombproof in my humble opinion.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Welcome!

The 4.0 is a great engine, and can be very forgiving of past mistakes (poor maintenance, etc). If you pick it up, change all the fluids, give it a good tune up, and continue to maintain it properly. It won't disappoint!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
welcome to CT from PR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts