Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new water pump. I think everything under the hood is stock. I was thinking about a high flow and maybe replacing the radiator hoses if they don't have springs. Is there anything else I should check/clean/replace if I put the high flow in? I have no heat and I live where it gets really cold. I also noticed slight rise above 210掳 over the summer sometimes. Thinking this whole system is interrelated but I am not an engine person. What other stuff should I consider replacing with or without high flow? $$ is very hard to come by but will save for above average parts. I don't want to have anything done twice if I can help it. So what are good brands according to which pump and parts y'all recommend? Thanks 馃檪

Premium Member
Is it because you have no heat that you are thinking high flow?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That and bc I don't want overheating problems that so many people talk about. It's just a 'should I' question. Are they better or just better for off road stuff. This is only a daily driver vehicle for me. I am missing a shroud that I will replace and someone who owned it before me lifted it. I don't think they did much under the hood but I really don't know. I don't know that they did anything but the lift underneath either. Everything's so rusty, who knows...

Premium Member
OK, here is my 2 cents on this. Your current water pump will flow much more that what the thermostat will allow to pass. That is why on a hot day not having a tstat in will cause the coolant to pass through the radiator too quickly and not cool down enough result in overheating. So I wouldn't bother. But make sure your shrouds are intact, clutch on the fan is working properly. In fact if you want to flow more air, eliminate the clutch and go to direct drive. Make sure the system is flushed properly, no debris between the condenser coil and radiator and your efan is working properly with its shroud intact.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so don't do anything fancy. There is a thermostat in there but I don't know that it's working. Was gonna boil it to find out and replace if needed. Both fans are working, just the one on passenger side is missing the shroud. This past spring, the radiator and heater core were flushed clear but the water that we used to flush and then refill was heavily iron filled well water. I didn't know that was a big no no at the time. 'Use garden hose' is the way I always heared but until I started looking into saving this truck, just recently, I didn't know to refill with distilled water. My buddy who just finished my exhaust and does most everything lives in the country and has the nasty well plus a huge garage and all the tools for most anything. I've got nothin'. I live in a small town on the edge of nowhere in a house where I rent a room that has no garage or useable driveway, I park on the street. Cop shop is on next street. Gotta be careful what I do not to draw attention. So I drive the 30 miles. It's all good except for the well water. Do you think we trashed everything with well water? He owned the truck before I did so he probably always put well water in it. He isn't the person who did the lift though, that was the guy before. I'm the 4th owner. There is no owner's manual and no records. Sorry to pick your brain so much and thank you for your previous reply. As it goes- 'the more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing'

Premium Member
I don't think yoiu trashed everything unless your freeze plugs are starting to leak. The minerals in the water set up electrolysis. So a flush is in order again. 50/50 mix of antifreeze also with distilled water. Get your shroud on there and you will be surprised the difference it makes, even though it is not much of a shroud

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a plan. Last questions on this sbject I think, are: who carries decent quality pumps/brands that won't break the bank and what brands are junk to avoid? I think I'm set after this.Thanks for helping me out. Much appreciated!!

Premium Member
NAPA generally has good stuff. But I would buy new instead of rebuilt

Reactions: New jeeper

Premium Member
Small piece of Gates history that is kind of fun, at least for me. Years ago, well a lot of years ago I had a suspension business of designing and installing lift kits for 4X4s. So Gates contacted me and asked if I would display a small plaque for them. So OK, had a couple of silver dollars in them. I hung on to that for years. I looked up the value of the silver dollars and found that one, the oldest was worth about $10. However the newest was kind of rare and being in excellent condition was worth $422. :D

Premium Member
Ha Ha. I let my son, the coin collector have them. Besides all the stuff I am doing now is big bucks. Still accumulating parts for it and I can't seem to keep my lift clear so I can work on it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
馃榿 I couldn't resist but I'm sure your son was stoked! Ordering Gates water pump, gaskets and t-stat from rock auto tomorrow. Gonna flush entire system again. No choice but the well water to flush but everything will be refilled with distilled water, best I can do. Also gonna pull guage cluster and start simple with pin cleaning and greasing. Exhaust system is done! Now I'll be able to hear the radio and if something else goes wrong anywhere. It isn't going to be quite as quiet as I thought bc at some point someone put headers on it. Probably the kid who did the lift. Seems everything is going ok at the moment but my buddy told me if I don't do something serious about the rust underneath by summer's end, my frame is done. My plan is a homemade sand blaster and por15 after. So anyway, the other stuff is gonna get done over Thanksgving weekend and I'm gonna scrimp and save all winter to do what I can to address the rust. The bottom of my doors are gone too. I'm good at bondo and it wouldn't be much of a jump to fiberglass but that is not gonna cut it. Gotta have welding but it depends on how much welding his kid feels like doing ( and too bad cuz he's good at it). I already asked him to do the rockers and he's not thrilled. It won't matter anyway if I can't save the frame. Any suggestions on all that when you (or someone) gets around to it would really help. Like how to get metal and fabricating for doors and patch parts for the frame or whatever. That way I'll have a better idea of how much money I'm gonna need. I wanna try really hard to save this thing from the junk yard. Thank you as always...馃檪

Premium Member
Wow, that covers lot of ground. A word of advice on the pins. Most people use dielectric grease afterwards. But dielectric grease does not conduct electricity. There is a better product for that. Ox-guard looks like the other stuff, but it does conduct electricity and has a little grit in it to clean the contact areas when you put the plug back together. Use it sparingly though. I saved my Warn winch controller using it. Otherwise I would have had to get another and rewire the winch. The "header" you see is probably the stock manifold. Yup, factory shorty header. If you have some metal left, you might look into frame stiffener kits. Easy to weld in. Just a few plug welds. Kitty hair works better then bondo. You mix it like fiberglass resin

Reactions: New jeeper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I lnow, that was a long one. Dielectric grease is what I meant but I didn't know how to spell it. I'll get the ox- guard instead if it does the cleaning so I don't damage pins. I didn't do exhaust, my buddy did and he said he did not think it was original. Maybe it isn't as rusted as everything else, maybe it's got a brand on it or maybe he is wrong. If I go under there and look is there a way to know if it is the stock shorty? Thank you! 馃檪

Premium Member
There is stock and there is reproductions. If an exhaust shop replaces a system they tend to duplicate original equipment. So if it goes all the way back, uses the OEM style hangers and is fairly quiet, probably as good as it gets unless you want some rumble

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm sorry I didn't get an update from my buddy soon enough to post before you answered but you were totally right about the header. My buddy has a friend that is a really good full time mechanic that owns his own shop. He's super difficult to get ahold of cuz his shop is packed all the time. But they had a conversation about my truck and that header is indeed original stock. He also said if my water pump was bad it would overheat within 15 minutes of driving. Since I have no heat he thinks either my thermostat is stuck open or there is no thermostat in it. Sounds logical to me so gonna start simple here too ('kiss' right? I think my friend and I overthunk it). We'll see where it goes...I wish I had access to the mechanic but I don't and he charges top dollar for his work which I can't afford. Just lucky my friend can consult him here and there. I'll update when everything is done. Thanks for all your time & help!

Premium Member
I think the most likely thing is that the heater core is plugged up. It is common

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend fushed everything this past spring and back flushed too? It was all clear. We're going to do it again when we do the thermostat and new antifeeze for the whole system. No well water for the refill this time. I heared theres an additive to keep the corrosion or whatever down but I don't know if that's buffalo chips. Also, my 'friend' or 'buddy', is named Alex, so I'll refer to him as that from now on, less words. If we do all that flushing and yet the heater core could still be plugged, I'd like to get educated on that. Ty!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts