Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Premium Member
Pull thke heater hoses and put the hose in one and turn it on and make sure it has good flow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, we can try that. Now Alex didn't tell the mechanic about how the belt squeals when I first start the thing. The summer before last I got a junk yard compressor and a month later it was sqealing really bad and my belt flew off. Alternator was going bad so we replaced that and the belt. No more squealing, I had a.c. for one summer (sigh). Last time we checked, the compressor pully was still spinning freely as was everything else. We're gonna check the belt and all the pulleys again. Maybe it's the compressor so I'll do a bypass or maybe just the water pump pulley is bad. We're just gonna look around and double check things. It can't hurt, get to know the truck better, easier to see a problem next time. 馃檪

Premium Member
Could just be the tension. No automatic tensioner

Reactions: New jeeper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
True but it was good when we put the new one on then after a few weeks it needed a slight adjustment and he said he checked that the other day when he started thinking about going ahead with the water pump and trying to get ahold of his mechanic friend. We're going to take it off anyway to check it and the pullies and I really should bypass the compressor anyway, it's junk. He's had my truck for 3 weeks, I haven't seen the new exhaust or anything. I really hope he waits till this weekend to do this t-stat, flush, hoses, etc.- I'd like to be there to learn cuz I wasn't there last time either. I don't know what part of country you live in but are you getting snow this week? We might get some here.鉂

Premium Member
I am in CA, 80 miles north of Sacramento at 400" elevation. Rare to get snow here, and then the whole world comes to a stand still. My so however lives at 3000" and gets snow. But not this weekend, another 9 days and we will have more snow in the mountains

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
How lucky! I did live in Ca. for a few years. First Culver City and then Venice. I really miss the beach and boardwalk. I was very young, it was in the 80's but I don't think I'd like that area now. Too bad what I see about Venice on YouTube these days. I was even in S.F. a few times but now that place is going down hill- poop alert app? Wth... It's still a beautiful state. I hate it here, about 40 miles north of Detroit .... just found out, there are Sequoia trees here, 3 of them, in Manistee. They're 70- 75 years old. They don't have nothin' on yours yet but it's good to know they can live this far east, I would like to go see them.Everytime I see Forrest fires out by you I worry severely about those trees. I thought the only place on U.S. where they existed was Ca. I hope you're not in one of the highly fire prone areas out there. May one never touch you. 馃檪

Premium Member
Surprise, there is a grove of old growth coast redwoods in the coast range of northern OR. We plant Sequoia trees here for a wind break etc. Fast growing for their first 30 years

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey, that's great, I don't know of any redwoods here but that doesn't mean they aren't. There could be some close to any of the great lakes, hidden from the public for now. They kept those 3 sequoias secret for quite some time. Probably for the 1st 50 years. I can't remember what was said about that in the article exactly. But anyway, I gess anyone can try growing them anywhere if they get the seeds. I thought since they're endangered, the trees and their cones would be under some forestry law to where if you try to take anything you get fined or something. Like how you can get busted for taking from the petrified forrest- if that's true. 馃檪

Premium Member
Cones are easy to get. Some people make a living off the forest harvesting cones and such. One of the reasons fire is such a danger to them now is that we have kept fire from them and now there are lots of young trees and brush growing there now and it is not like a park anymore, but very thick now and lots of fuel to burn

Premium Member
Here is a treat for you. These look like redwoods, but are really old growth incense cedar. You can see how the way forests are getting overgrown now
Plant Plant community Hood Automotive tire Nature
Larch Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Wood Trunk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
They do look like redwoods but their scent probably gives them away, very cool, thanks for the pics! Did you take those? We have cedar here but I don't know what kind exacty. It's too bad about all the brush and overgrowth. They probably can't do controlled burns anymore, to risky with drought now? What's the pay for a cone collector? I would do that! Change of plans with weather here, no snow for us, maybe some rain. I'm glad, I won't freeze my fingers off doing the guages and whatnot. Thanks again for the pics- beautiful...

Premium Member
Cone pickers can make a living, but not great. They also pick moss, strip cascara bark for laxative and I am not sure what else. What you see is the results of over 100 years of fire management. All that stuff would have to be cleared out by hand before doing a prescribed burn. Just starting to see the light here now and telling the Sierra Club to get lost. And yes I did take those. Just a hop, skip and a jump off the Fordyce Creek trail. Take a look at some vids of it, you will notice crossing Fordyce Creek can be a big deal. I have a secret spot where I jumped across in a single bound. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Can you put links here? Or do I try to find them on you tube? I'd love to watch, are you in any of them? Was that your jeep in the 1st tree pic? I really wasnt sure from the angle and mostly just the hood. I understand if you don't want to show your secret spot but I'd like to see in general the cossing you're talking about. I don't know what the Sierra club is interfering with or what their mission is but, if they're helping create the mess you showed earlier then I hope they go away.... Maybe these old growth forrests would be better protected by national park service or something even stronger. Has there ever been a chance or an movement to get them classified as national or world heritage type of designation so that they get properly cared for, for their needs and protected and preserved? What a horrible thing it would be to lose them- General Sherman comes to mind. I know the oldest redwood also has a name that starts with a T and the location of that one is secret. Do you know it's name? Ok if you don't, I can probably find it again. Anyway creek crossing vid links would be great! 馃檪

Premium Member
Here is one that has the creek and lake where the trees are at

And yes that was my Jeep

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Further north, small little white pine tree at about 8,000' elevation on the way to Sierra Buttes

Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle

At high lakes, stopped for lunch

Registered
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That was awsome! Beautiful land, everything you could want right down to the fish fry! Nice pics of your jeep too, and if that's a little white pine, then we have twigs 馃槃 We have the Hartwick pines in Grayling that are huge and protected but most of the old growth trees are gone there too due to storms.You'd be hard pressed to find a tree older than 120 yrs here.They say America was built on Michigan lumber. Hey thanks for the vid, have a great holiday!

Premium Member
You too

Registered
I need a new water pump. I think everything under the hood is stock. I was thinking about a high flow and maybe replacing the radiator hoses if they don't have springs. Is there anything else I should check/clean/replace if I put the high flow in? I have no heat and I live where it gets really cold. I also noticed slight rise above 210掳 over the summer sometimes. Thinking this whole system is interrelated but I am not an engine person. What other stuff should I consider replacing with or without high flow? $$ is very hard to come by but will save for above average parts. I don't want to have anything done twice if I can help it. So what are good brands according to which pump and parts y'all recommend? Thanks 馃檪
Any parts store.Before that, open radiator cap (cool). Start it. Rev slightly by hand while watching your coolant. IF, it sucks down an inch, you have good flow. If it doesn't.. change thermostat!

Registered
I need a new water pump. I think everything under the hood is stock. I was thinking about a high flow and maybe replacing the radiator hoses if they don't have springs. Is there anything else I should check/clean/replace if I put the high flow in? I have no heat and I live where it gets really cold. I also noticed slight rise above 210掳 over the summer sometimes. Thinking this whole system is interrelated but I am not an engine person. What other stuff should I consider replacing with or without high flow? $$ is very hard to come by but will save for above average parts. I don't want to have anything done twice if I can help it. So what are good brands according to which pump and parts y'all recommend? Thanks 馃檪
They must have springs in the hosses it keeps the hose from collapsing. I would recommend you keep the stock system but add a good fan if you start upgrading stuff you will need a thermostat that's going to bug out good luck

21 - 39 of 39 Posts