Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 136 amp alternator in my 93 4.0L Cherokee. I got an alt. for a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8. I had to do some grinding on the bracket that bolts to the engine. It was kinda a pita cause I had to do a lot of trial and error, on and off, etc. But it sure was worth it. I can now turn on my lights,wipers,heater fan on high, and rear utility lights and 4 front Hella 500's, which used to drop the amp gauge to about 11 amps, now very little drop in amperage! Great upgrade! Sorry no pix. I was about 2/3 finished when I thought about pix. :cheers:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice...I want to find a "stock" upgrade for my rig. Though I am getting a little more amps from the TJ alt then what comes stock in an XJ.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I've posted donor lists at JeepForum and/or CherokeeForum of donors that will take you up to 160A with a little work, and I'm trying to see about sourcing plugs to adapt the later wiring (two-pole plug) to the earlier harnesses (two M4 studs.)

Grinding usually works out to be about 1/4" in the mounting area - you just need enough to clear the alternator frame and slip a sheet of paper in between the alternator and the engine freely (which is only a few thousandths of an inch.)

·
Registered
365 Posts
That would be good info to be had, thanks. Does it have any information for TJs? I installed a '05 TJ motor into mine. So my alternator is mounted onto and has completely different mounting arms.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That would be good info to be had, thanks. Does it have any information for TJs? I installed a '05 TJ motor into mine. So my alternator is mounted onto and has completely different mounting arms.
I think it can be extrapolated, in its current form. I've got it on my list to do a fuller and more extensive version, then I'll put it up in the Tech section of my site. That requires that I get some pix and the ability to visually inspect more than a few alternators, tho, so it's going to take some time for me to get it done...

·
Registered
386 Posts
i installed a custom made 160amp alternator in my 91 Xj lol

and yeah it took a lot of work to install it, and since i own a shop and also rebuild alternators and starts it kinda helped

and post some pics! i wanna compare it to mine :)

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
so what alternator can i switch to for my 88 i havent seen anything on the net for it

·
Registered
607 Posts
so what alternator can i switch to for my 88 i havent seen anything on the net for it
The list I'd posted was for the ND as used 1991-up. Your 1988 uses a Delco CS-130 - while there aren't many swap apps (that I know of,) being a Delco makes it easy to have yours upwound. Either check with a local shop that does starter/alternator rewinds, or click the link in my sig and go to the San Jose Generator part of my site - they're the shop I use. Rod will fix you up for a good price, I talked him into doing mail-order a couple of whiles ago.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
To the OP and anyone else looking to bump up their alternator output (in addition to swapping/upgrading alternators), consider either buying a new charging system wiring harness (Jeepers and Creepers has one, http://www.jeepersandcreepers.com/10701.html), or make one yourself using the stock harness as an example. I pieced together a harness using 4- and 6-gauge wiring. The general basis behind this is that yeah, you've got a lot more power out of the alternator, but it still has to cram it all through small wiring. Similar to using a larger water pump but using a straw as piping. Doesn't allow for as much flow.
After upgrading the wiring, I can now run the heater, wipers, and a 2500w system and not get any dimming, and the volt-meter stays completely steady.

On a side note, you can do the same for your headlight wiring and get a vast improvement, even if you don't change the headlights out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i should of put 4 gauge before i installed mine, man i screwed up

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
No worries bro, I did the same thing. I also managed to make the harness in less than an hour. Longest part of the whole thing was finding all the proper wires, solder, and connectors around town at various parts stores. Super easy to do, even for a newbie to wiring.

And I need to specify something while I'm at it:

Swapping to a higher output alternator will still get you a noticeable difference in power output. Upgrading to larger gauge wiring just helps you maximize the benefits to allow for full potential.

·
Registered
607 Posts
To the OP and anyone else looking to bump up their alternator output (in addition to swapping/upgrading alternators), consider either buying a new charging system wiring harness (Jeepers and Creepers has one, http://www.jeepersandcreepers.com/10701.html), or make one yourself using the stock harness as an example. I pieced together a harness using 4- and 6-gauge wiring. The general basis behind this is that yeah, you've got a lot more power out of the alternator, but it still has to cram it all through small wiring. Similar to using a larger water pump but using a straw as piping. Doesn't allow for as much flow.
After upgrading the wiring, I can now run the heater, wipers, and a 2500w system and not get any dimming, and the volt-meter stays completely steady.

On a side note, you can do the same for your headlight wiring and get a vast improvement, even if you don't change the headlights out.
Or, you can click the link in my sig for more information.

Note that the one wire that really should be replaced - the alternator output wire - isn't done in the J&C kits. Why? Because they don't offer a means to replace the OEM fuse protection in that circuit.

I do. And, I do custom work if you want (and if you want something that isn't listed, I just need measurements. Everything is "bulk stock" until an order actually comes in - so custom work is no problem! I've wired up a good deal more than Jeeps...)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Awesome dude. Was wondering why J&C didn't have that little guy beefed up. Guess I'll be referring peeps elsewhere ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Awesome dude. Was wondering why J&C didn't have that little guy beefed up. Guess I'll be referring peeps elsewhere ;)
That's why I worked out the fuse kit.

If there's enough interest, I'll probably be adding high-amp circuit breakers as options as well - but they're going to be spendy (I'm still trying to get datasheets on the units I'm looking at, and none of them are terribly cheap. Figure they'd probably end up going for something around $40-45 per each, plus-minus. That doesn't include the extra lead to go from the breaker to distribution, either...)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts