Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 96 Cherokee Classic with 188000 miles on it. It is a 4 door with a 4.0 and auto. The problem is when I go down the road it will not rev over 3000 RPM. It cuts out and in like it is hitting the rev limiter, let the RPMs drop to 2700 or so and runs great. Some times it will do it parked but not all the time. Also it has no codes.

New parts I installed are as follows;
new distbutor
new cap and rotor
new plugs and wires
new coil
new fuel filter

Friend has 96 xj also that I swapped parts to check. Parts are as follows;
engine computer and tranny computer
map sensor
tps
both o2 sensors
speed sensor
cam sensor
crank sensor
coil

Checked voltage at map and it is good. Unplugged and checked all conections. replaced ground wires. Checked fuel pressure and it is 45psi. Talked to owner that i bought it from and he changed fuel pump and cat.

Has anybody seen this before. What is shut off at rev limit, spark or fuel.
Sorry for the long post but I am witts end. Next thing is to start checking the harness.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I know that when is parked or in neutral it could have a rev limiter or governor but thats kinda weird, bc mine 95XJ, nor my friends 98ZJ has that prob,

have you check if your throttle opens completely?

its kinda weird, never really read about this before..

·
Registered
707 Posts
Have you checked your throttle body.... Cause I know if that gets dirty and gunked up than that really affect the way the motor runs when driving it.... it will cause it to do some weird things. Just a suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts