Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
I stand corrected. They are 1400 lumens each!

For how i use the jeep they fit the bill. My daily driver Ram 1500 got $100 Sae/DOT compliant fogs with projector lenses and provide a crisp cutoff line so I can use them on the road. Combined with proper aiming those will help a ton, these on my jeep, well these are cheap, bright pods that will light up everything and piss off everyone looking at them! Bottom picture is the lights for my Ram. Huge difference in lenses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Wow.
So that is what 1200 Lumens looks like?
I picked up a couple Grote BZ 551-5 a few months ago for about $39 all in.
Those say 1200 Raw Lumens. Not sure what the raw part means.
I mocked one up to see what it would look like but won't get to installing them till next year. Maybe. LOL.
If I didn't have factory fogs I wouldn't have done it. I don't enjoy working in the cold as my hands don't like it much. Utilizing the factory harness saved me hours if time and aggravation.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If I didn't have factory fogs I wouldn't have done it. I don't enjoy working in the cold as my hands don't like it much. Utilizing the factory harness saved me hours if time and aggravation.

You and me both.
Technically I don't have factory fogs. My Jeep did not come with them.
I bought some aftermarket OEM type ones, got the switch, the bezel, and the connectors off a headlight harness for the fogs from an XJ that did come with them out of the boneyard.
They are wired like aftermarket, with a relay, but look factory up front and in the passenger compartment.
The cool thing was that I had a blank where the switch would be. And behind it was the connector. Thing is not all the wiring there is complete.
But the illumination for the switch when you turn on the headlights and the ground wire were.
So I spliced into the remaining 2. One out to the relay and the other for a 12 volt run source for the switch.
Frankly those factory fogs are worthless but I like the look.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
You and me both.

Technically I don't have factory fogs. My Jeep did not come with them.

I bought some aftermarket OEM type ones, got the switch, the bezel, and the connectors off a headlight harness for the fogs from an XJ that did come with them out of the boneyard.

They are wired like aftermarket, with a relay, but look factory up front and in the passenger compartment.

The cool thing was that I had a blank where the switch would be. And behind it was the connector. Thing is not all the wiring there is complete.

But the illumination for the switch when you turn on the headlights and the ground wire were.

So I spliced into the remaining 2. One out to the relay and the other for a 12 volt run source for the switch.

Frankly those factory fogs are worthless but I like the look.
I'm not very good at wiring so I was really happy to have the factory setup there to utilize.

What you're doing is exactly what I have to do for my Ram and it's a pain in the butt. I'm not a big lighting guy, but I feel supplemental lights are almost a necessity. I'm a stickler for as clean an install as possible. I like the factory appearance compared to switches all over, unless there's a useable multi switch bank that is home for a multitude of AUX switches. Lights are easy to swap out and upgrade later, wiring is something I wanna mess with once and be done.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm not very good at wiring so I was really happy to have the factory setup there to utilize.

What you're doing is exactly what I have to do for my Ram and it's a pain in the butt. I'm not a big lighting guy, but I feel supplemental lights are almost a necessity. I'm a stickler for as clean an install as possible. I like the factory appearance compared to switches all over, unless there's a useable multi switch bank that is home for a multitude of AUX switches. Lights are easy to swap out and upgrade later, wiring is something I wanna mess with once and be done.

Of all the things that I am not good at electrical tops the list.
I spent a year working that out. LOL.
For those pods I bought I want to use this in my overhead console with factory switches.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LTSNRJUA2/4-oem-switch-garage-door-panel?optionId=63515302

Thinking some back up lights to and I have already sourced a rear fog light switch that the European versions come with. The logo is kind of reversed.
They sell blanks too for that bezel but I am thinking I am just going to fill it with switches even though a couple might never be used.
And I have figured out what fuse in the fuse box in the footwell runs all the dash illumination so I can hook them up to illuminate.
That and a circuit breaker to an aux fuse box and a central location for all my relays in the engine compartment.
Someday. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
I rewired my buddy's 56 Ford pick up, bumper to bumper and used the pdc from a 95 Cherokee. I really enjoy wiring. So if you need any tips, holla at me! ?.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Man that looks like an awesome project! Curious about what all that took?!

I'm better than I was at wiring. But it's still mainly voodoo to me. I'll absolutely be running things past you!

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
I loved it. We had a blast. The guy that owns it is named Bob. He retired from penndot a few years ago and I used to work on his trucks when I was a mechanic. It's pretty much finished. Just trying to get the Holley 650 adjusted. I used his garage to do my floor plans and frame stiffeners.
Today's wiring is a tad better than what they had in 1956, lol. I plan to post a bunch of pics here in the near future. In its own thread of course. Ha ha.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
I see it's 4wd converted too. Surely look forward to that thread!

Still didn't try out the pods. I clicked them on and they are too bright for my neighborhood lol. So I need to take a ride to an empty field.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

I think mine has factory fog wiring. - there’s a switch and a harness to the fog location, but no lights. Always meant to test it and see if there’s power to it

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think mine has factory fog wiring. - there’s a switch and a harness to the fog location, but no lights. Always meant to test it and see if there’s power to it
The relays are in the PDC.
Pretty sure the fuse for the fog lights is in there too.
What happens when you throw the switch?
Does the green indicator light go on?
Does the symbol illuminate when you turn on the headlights?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The relays are in the PDC.

Pretty sure the fuse for the fog lights is in there too.

What happens when you throw the switch?

Does the green indicator light go on?

Does the symbol illuminate when you turn on the headlights?

Nope no switch indicator light or dash light. I never bothered to look into the relay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Weird thing is I get neither a dash light nor does my switch light up when the pods are on. But they function as normal and switch off when high beams are selected

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
My guess is burnt bulbs.
Yea, most likely, doesn't bother me nor is there any mistaken these things being on or off. They are like laser beams of death for your eyes.

So, my buddy and I have been working on his newest rig.

Rear engine Havoc Buggy. 2006 superduty cab ( kinda) Artec axles, front/rear hydro steer, doubler box, 12v Cummins, 48re, Ford T case, 52" tractor tires, double triangulated 4 links, ORI resi shocks

He built the chassis himself, I finally have had time to get up there and I'll be helping as I can moving forward. This is what we'll use when things get wild. Fingers crossed I'll build me a 1 ton chassis to hopefully tag along.

Think Top Truck Challenge. YouTube "Mt Havoc" if youre curious. 20191206_204915.jpg 20191206_204940.jpg 20191206_204923.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 · (Edited)
OMG! So Much BADASS!!!
He and I are highschool buddies. Grew up wrenching and wheeling. We've been obsessed with TTC and ultimate adventure. He Cummins swapped his powerstroke, daily drove it, than eventually it became the trail rig. Shortened frame LCG build. But when you start breaking 1 ton stuff it's all or nothing. This was his ALL.

Best part is, he took the superduty, slapped a TJ body on it added stretch panels and has a rig to mess with until this build is done. He's a maniac. It's on a 6" superduty lift now and clears 46" tractor tires. The 38" boggers are for Rausch trips. You can see it's much bigger in the background of the 2nd pic. FB_IMG_1574435955134.jpg IMG_20191203_202034_430.jpg

View attachment 213689

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
Oh yeah, lots of fun and games

201 - 220 of 258 Posts