Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Have you even wheeled it yet? Man I'd stop and enjoy a rig for a bit before diving into a whole new build direction, which is what jeepspeed is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Have you even wheeled it yet? Man I'd stop and enjoy a rig for a bit before diving into a whole new build direction, which is what jeepspeed is.
I've had it out a few times. Nothing to the extreme of Rausch or AOAA but that's simply because i have nobody to run with anymore and I won't wheel at a park solo. Now that my front axle seal is leaking I'm not planning on hitting the parks with it, simply for the fact that it's impossible to avoid alot of water there. The seals bad enough to not prevent water intrusion, but still fine for me to run it. I daily drive the jeep and have plenty of time to enjoy the project, so believe me it's not just a driveway queen I am continually working on. With that said, I find myself doing alot more exploring and dare I say..."overlandy" things than straight crawling with this, so a setup biased more to comfort at speed will suit me a little better with the direction this build is going.

Keep in mind I used the term jeepspeed loosely, as I could never afford to build an actual race rig, even for the 1700 class. I'm just taking some inspiration from their build style and trying something new. This will likely be a year or so before i get to this mind you, and I'm just thinking out loud. I need frame stiffeners, to rebuild my axles and whatever rears its head along the way. It's been such a long project to get the jeep to a reliable and comfortable state that it's in now, I find myself wanting to preserve it more than beat it. There's alot of sentiment with this one.

If I had a house with a legit garage I would have a trail rig I could abuse and not care about, but I don't even have a big enough driveway for a trailer. So I'm trying to make the jeep good at alot of things and great at none.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Been there done that. My jeep is in the same state. Ok, get it up in prime running shape and work on comfort as the money and time come in then.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Been there done that. My jeep is in the same state. Ok, get it up in prime running shape and work on comfort as the money and time come in then.
Aside from a few tweaks I can't ask for it to run any better. It's only taken 2 years to finally have it running like a top. I'd 100% take this anywhere, aside from fuel mileage being awful lol.

Being a Jeep they're never really done......i just need a direction to go with it per se. I get bored with things quickly and it's my downfall. All these mods moving forward are neither quick or cheap so I'm trying to plan the best order to do them.

Being currently laid off is the worst. I do nothing but look at things on the web and figure out where to spend the money I'm not making lol.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I don't know where you are but around here they are hiring everywhere. The parts lady at Oreillys was literally begging me to apply. I just might, because as she said "the discount is worth it". Places are absolutely desperate for workers. I don't mean to be stepping outside my bounds here, I don't know your situation and don't need to. Just sayin places are hiring.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
I don't know where you are but around here they are hiring everywhere. The parts lady at Oreillys was literally begging me to apply. I just might, because as she said "the discount is worth it". Places are absolutely desperate for workers. I don't mean to be stepping outside my bounds here, I don't know your situation and don't need to. Just sayin places are hiring.
I don't think I ever mentioned what I do for a living, so no worries. I'm in the trades as a Union Ironworker. Being laid off/in between work is normal and i budget accordingly. Issue is, material prices have gotten so high all the work we have is on hold until the General Contractors figure out what to do. Can't make a profit on a building when the material isn3-400% over what the origional bid was. I don't mind being off, I get caught up on things and have time to be human since life doesn't exist when we are busy. I've only been out since early April, and I definitely don't mind not working in the heat, had a heat stroke last year and average at least 1 a year so chilling when it's 105* is totally fine with me. But it does suck i don't have my play money coming in right now, I've got a wedding, house things and a bunch of projects on hold. The only thing I can/could afford to play with is the xj, but since it's almost done with small stuff I'm getting stir crazy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Insert foot to mouth, I need to get this axle seal done in the near future, it's gotten bad quick. Not excited to be swimming in gear oil in the near future, while I'm in there I'll be pulling the locker out and going back to open front dif. For as much as the locker is awesome offroad, it's useless come winter on road in 4wd and since this is more a multi use build, an open front will suit me fine until I can afford a selectable unit one day.

If any of you guys are following along a d30 lock rite will soon be available for cheap.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Upgrade to an Eaton TruTrac for the front. Absolutely noiseless, does good in ice and winter. Fully automatic. I love mine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Upgrade to an Eaton TruTrac for the front. Absolutely noiseless, does good in ice and winter. Fully automatic. I love mine.
I've been tempted to do them front and rear honestly. The lunchbox lockers have been awesome for the void they filled, but I find myself crawling so little anymore Idk if full time lockers are necessary. Are they relatively aggressive as long as tires are on the ground?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I've been tempted to do them front and rear honestly. The lunchbox lockers have been awesome for the void they filled, but I find myself crawling so little anymore Idk if full time lockers are necessary. Are they relatively aggressive as long as tires are on the ground?
The trutrac utilizes a wormgear design, transferring power immediately from the spinning tire across to the other. Ive never had an issue with mine on or off road. There is no clicking, and no jerking on something like pavement. You don't feel any difference whether you apply power or not, as opposed to a ratcheting locker where applying power engages it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
The trutrac utilizes a wormgear design, transferring power immediately from the spinning tire across to the other. Ive never had an issue with mine on or off road. There is no clicking, and no jerking on something like pavement. You don't feel any difference whether you apply power or not, as opposed to a ratcheting locker where applying power engages it.
Awesome, I'm gonna look into them a bit more for sure hearing first hand positive feedback. My old 2006 Cummins had a similar limited slip. I believe it was a torsen.....but it's been a while since I bothered refreshing my brain on those trucks. In all my years wheeling I've not had myself in a spot where I lifted a tire, and I'm not gonna start now....at least not in this cherry body (for an East coast rig anyway). These lunch box lockers have never failed me, but man do they leave lots to be desired on the road.

I'm thinking I might keep these axles and refresh them a bit and find myself a true beater to slap these under to thrash in the rocks. There's plenty sad looking xjs I can give a beating to.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·

Cleaned about 15lbs of dog hair out of the inside and gave it the good ol wd40 wipe down detail. Slowly gathering the small parts so I can get the axle seals done and get the front locker out. Still chasing a stupid A.C. gremlin as well. Kinda boring I know. Need to get the good vents and axle seals done so I can get out with this thing.

261 - 272 of 272 Posts