Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure if you guys recall my "Jeep 2.0 Cam" post... This is an addition to that.

I've been wanting to install a camera security system at my house for years now. My little Jeep Cam 2.0 thingy was my first "very cheap" attempt. That camera is not a night vision enabled camera, so it was only good for the daylight, actually about 45 minutes after daylight and 45 minutes before sunset.

Recently I found a very inexpensive camera with both IR, outside, and Sony CCD imaging sensor. How inexpensive? $70. After cable and shipping it is $97 which is still a bargain, I think.

The case is aluminum with a glass front. Much heavier than I expected, but I expected plastic.

Anyway I ordered one and put it up in the front door way.

Front door at night.

It has 36 IR LEDs, which turns out to be a little bright for someone 3 feet away at night, but it's acceptable.

I then ordered two more cameras. My son and I installed one of them at the 2nd story corner of the house this past Friday.

Front house (north end) Night

In this picture you can see the IR light in the middle of the image, plus you can see the IR coming from the front door camera off to the right.

The cameras are zoom full out, so you get a bit of a "fish eye" look. I really don't need to see the first floor roof so I'll be zooming in a bit.

I have one more camera to install on the south side front of the house. This will cover the street and our driveway.

After Christmas I'll be getting one more camera to install for the back yard.

All of the cameras are tied into a FREE piece of software called ZoneMinder running on a LINUX server. ZoneMinder monitors, and records video of any movement that it detects.

The really nice thing about all of this is it is fully web enabled. I can be at work and watching the house.

Here is the "montage" view of the three active camera. The old one and two of the new ones.

As you can see the daytime only camera is a total waste at night. By contrast the IR cameras kick A$$!

Even with the old crappy one camera, I was able to alert my wife to people in the area that she might want to be aware of, while miles away at work.

Currently I have the original "daytime only" camera hooked up to a RF modulator and feeding the video feed throughout the house cable system. We can tune to channel 30 on any TV connected to the cable and see what is going on in the front yard.

The modulators are pretty pricey since you can tune them for any UHF channel, instead of the typical 3 or 4. As you can imagine having the "live" video feed can be handy, especially for the front door camera. I am mulling over one modulator (the one I have) and an automatic video switcher that would cycle through all the cameras.

Of course each camera having it's on channel would be the nicest thing.

If anyone is curious on how this progresses I'll be happy to write more.

One other thing I was thinking of, and this is more Jeep related, is placing four night vision cameras in the XJ and building it into a video surveillance system. I'd need an on board computer system. Basically it would detect and record any movement around the Jeep. Left, Right, Front and Back. Of course I would need much smaller cameras.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO i really like the ir cameras
You never know. Some people find this stuff interesting and some people just yawn over it.

I like it, and I've always liked sharing information with people.

Some time I get some interesting feedback and makes me think of how to do it a little differently, and often better.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are the lights on at all times?
The IR LEDs are mostly invisible to the naked eye. They come on instantly and turn off instantly depending on the photo sensor. What you can see is two rings of dim red lights... On the face of the camera. You can see them easliy in the doorway, but the camera is only 3 feet away. You'd never notice the one on the 2nd story eve.

So there are no visible lights to the naked eye, but they do turn on and off automagically.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can i ask why your putting in the security system? Did you have a run in with thieves or just like to keep a look out. I should really look at this because my friends and family say I am the worst window ninja they have ever met. I hear anything outside and i am right there looking to see whats going on>

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
That's the coolest freakin thing. If anyone messes with ya, you will catch him in the act and there's no excuse that would bail him out.

You should install motion detectors that set off a LOUD recording of the most vicious dog growl you can find on the internet. When someone comes onto your property at night, it would click on and the trespasser will hear this mean dog growling and take off...:rofl:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Where you live i bet i can get passed the cameras.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can i ask why your putting in the security system? Did you have a run in with thieves or just like to keep a look out. I should really look at this because my friends and family say I am the worst window ninja they have ever met. I hear anything outside and i am right there looking to see whats going on>
It is more of a fun thing to play with. Of course there is that aspect of intruders, however having a video of someone is only good if everything else fails.

My step-son's Ford Exploder was broken into about 4 months ago. They got his custom made subwoofer(s) box. Broke out two windows in the process. Personally I would have like to been out there and made the little bitches cry. This system would have only gave us a video to give the police and not alerted me (at least in it's present configuration) to someone doing something wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where you live i bet i can get passed the cameras.
Of course you could, but that isn't the point. I'm just watching specific areas. If I was doing a perimature security system I'd need a few more cameras. My current plans don't have the sides of the house being watched at all, plus if you wanted to get in un-noticed bad enough you'd just get on the neighboors roof and jump over.

High power pellet gun could take out the camera's etc...

There are many ways.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey mudderoy happen to have a link to where you bought the cameras as well as where to get that software? I am wanting to put a camera on the front of the house and back of the house as well.
gadspot.com (I used paypal since their checkout isn't secure.)

Zoneminder.com for the software.

bleucherry.com for the 4 port PCI video card. The card comes with software that runs under MS Windows.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gracius...the bleucherry.com is a no go..and bluecherry.com is an apparel site..
Damn I was close...

http://store.bluecherry.net/SearchResults.asp?Cat=63&Click=51

I got the PV-149 and the Enzotech BCC9 - Eight pack of copper heat sinks for BT878 chips to help keep each video chip cool.

Now that I'm setting all this stuff up, I can see the need for at least 3 more cameras! Kinda wish I had got the 8 port card now. I can still add another 4 port to the server no problem.

·
Registered
317 Posts
..my friends and family say I am the worst window ninja they have ever met. I hear anything outside and i am right there looking to see whats going on>
LOL that sounds like me! I am at the windows all the time. I am not paranoid or anything, I just have a compulsion to observe the world as it passes by my house :hi:

It has served me well though. I see a lot of strange things out my window :rofl: ... I live in a strange neighborhood.

I find the subject of home surveillance interesting as I have often wanted to put a camera at my front door to take a snap shot of anyone who approaches. There have been many times where someone I know is not from the 'hood coming to my door and asking strange questions such as ..."I heard that Dave lives here, is he home?"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts