Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was looking for things i could do to my jeep that wouldnt cost a ton and might come in handy and Ive seen several awning systems on land cruisers and larger suvs. Just wanted to see if anyone had attempted this on an xj and if there are any suggestions.

Also im looking into building a drawer system for the back of my xj and was wondering if there were any suggestions as far as what sliders/hardware to use. Was contemplating using a system on one side of it for a cooler to roll out much like you see with trash cans under kitchen counters.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!!!:D

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I haven't seen a write-up on here yet about drawers and stuff for the trunk, but I know there are several on jeepforum.com and NAXJA. Most use plywood and typical hardware found at Home Depot/Lowes. You can get crazy with it or you can keep it simple - it really all depends on your skills and amount of time you have to do it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have two awning setups, one for my rig alone and another when i have another vehicle with me. Heres one using a camo tarp and some poles coming off the back of my rig and a buds. Works great in bad weather.

I also am just about finished the other that also comes off the back of my Jeep, for situations when i'm alone or dont have room for another rig alongside. It's made from milspec OD canvas. I have it with me here in SC but havent set it up yet to take a few pics... i'm looking to add a few old tent poles to give it some more curverture up top. This will start just at the rear side of my RTT when deployed. I'll post an update in my buildthread when i get a few pics.

On the rear storage i found a design i really like in a Land Cruiser. Hoping to copy it eventually, but never seem to have enough time. Using 150lb bearing drawer slides and other hardware it'll look like this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Took a few pics of my OD awning, not fully adjusted but you get the idea.

I think the material cost me $15 and i had a few poles etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
OT, but Overland that is one very nice looking Cherokee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts