Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 97 cherokee and want to run 33's without cutting any sheetmetal. i have made a lift for my ford truck and am running 46's on it sucessfully so im not scared of it coming apart. any ideas for a way to build a homemade lift? im new to jeeps and keep hearing about the "death wobble"? i drive this thing to the local drive on beach but thats about the extent of its off road action so all i need is height any suggestions? (kid on the way so i am on an extremley small budget but have steel and a welder)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Nice link :thumbsup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks for the link!

Jimbo

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I just re-read your original post, and you said that you want to run 33's without cutting any sheetmetal. This will probably work if you're not going to wheel the rig, but even 33's with a good amount of lift will still rub due to the size of the tire vs. the size of the wheel wells.

For 33's I recommend 4.5" with trimming, 5.5"+ with less trimming. You may even have to trim a little bit even for street driving depending on what you're going to rub on.

As for steering issues. You must get an alignment after the lift because you'll have to re-set the toe-in. You need your trackbar and draglink to be parallel otherwise you'll have bump-steer. Make sure you set your pinion angle (caster) correctly as well. You'll have to go with a SYE and new rear driveshaft for the amount of lift that you're going to get. You should go with adjustable control arms to really dial everything in properly. If you go with a SYE, you'll have to shim the rear axle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts