Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood release cable is broken and I can't get the hood opened. It's a 96 Cherokee sport. Anybody know of a way to get the hood opened? I've looked from underneath and cant even see the latches.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
There is a way. Google it.
IIRC it requires removing the driver's side headlight bezel, headlight bucket, etc.
And then you can pop it through there.

·
Premium Member
10,111 Posts
If you have the 4.0 engine, then remove both headlights and buckets. When you remove the bucket, just undo the springs, don't touch the adjustment screws. Then there are two 13mm bolts to remove the hood latch loops. One faces you and the other is up inside the header frame. You will need a deep socket or short extension. Then you can raise the hood

·
Registered
480 Posts
After years of my jeep sitting, the hood latch didnt want to release for me so i took out the headlight and remove the headlight and headlight bucket. There is a bolt directly behind that you take out and just above that bolt and slightly to the outside pointing to the sky is the other. Take these two out and it'll get it open. There is another easier way if you can do it but mine was jammed..

The other route is to reach from underneath and flip the switch or push the rod to unhinge it. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts