Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning i started her up, and something sounds very wrong. (video with sound, link below).
Is it piston slap, rockers, - im new to fixing up my precious so any advise on how to find the problem ??

Cherokee '98 XJ 2.5L Turbo Diesel. And european edition.
So finding parts or experts is harder than the repairs !!

vid with sound

edit: the shaking pipe is the intercooler hose

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Do you have glow plugs?

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
Wow that does sound horrible. I first thought it was a loose spark plug, but its a diesel. I'm not real familiar with the jeep diesel cause we don't have them over here in the states. I would start with checking your glow plugs and injectors to make sure they are all tight. and no major cracks in the exhaust manifold. I wouldn't keep running it until I found the problem. Is it manual or auto. I'm inclined to believe manual. if not, check your convertor bolts. Next would be a compression test. to make sure you don't have a bent/broken valve or some other mechanical problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fixed it. yeah!! thanks for the replies guys.
So i took the top off as the noise was coming from inside...
Automotive tire Gear Wood Auto part Coil
..do you see it?

Brown Wood Auto part Gas Metal
..push rod not pushing...

so a pushrod had popped out of place. i took the rockers off, and everything appears to be in order. put it back together, and its all good. so why did it happen ????

(i did rev it lots, and put it in 4w drive, to get the car up onto the 'stands' so i could work underneath. but was it my rev-ing, or was it the 4w drive, that was too much?)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi BigJohnMMXX and welcome to the group.

I did read all of your posts and am glad that you were able to solve the 'immediate' problem, but like you, and probably others here, I am curious about what the original cause/reason why the Push-Rod wasn't seated in the Rocker Arm in the 1st place.

Did you notice if your Jeep ran any smoother than it did before the "Horrible Noise"?...
... Because, if it is now running smoother than before the "Horrible Noise", I would bet that the Push-Rod was either floating loosely and/or somehow got wedged between the Cylinder Head and the rocker arm in a higher position where the Lifter wouldn't have been making enough contact with the Push-Rod for a noticeable enough noise to be concerned about... ...and... ...Eventually the Push rod became re-positioned in such a way that caused the "Horrible Noise".

Did you check to see if the Push-Rod got bent?

Is there any scoring, dents or other noticeable damage on the Push-Rod Tube itself?...
...Also, was there any noticeable damage on the ends of the Push-Rod?

Did you check for Push-Rod length specification and measure the Push-Rod to make sure it's the correct length?

·
Super Moderator
11,137 Posts
Did you take the rod out and make sure it wasn't bent. Our gas engines use hydraulic lifters so you don't set valve lash. But if you over revved it and floated a valve, that make have caused it to pop out. You may have a collapsed or worn lifter. I would watch it close and maybe dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The engine noise returned to normal after i sorted out the pushrod. Normal meaning as it has been for the last year - plenty of work still to do !! the rod itself looked ok. Couple of years back i took the engine out and stripped it down. didnt open the block (not ready for that), but did take off all the rockers and top bits...
Brown Wood Art Font Scrap

Wood Motor vehicle Tool Gas Metalworking hand tool

i checked rods against straight edge etc - i think my phone camera makes them look a bit wobbly. But there are perfectly straight, correct length, identical ends, clear holes. rocker arms are good fit - no 'play'. No worn marks. No grooves, scratches.

Fascinated to hear the rod could have been out for a long time, but in an up position. I assumed it would immediately be noticable. So the fault could have happened a while back? thats make it even more difficult to find the cause. Hummm.
Thanks.
Wood Yellow Metalworking hand tool Hand tool Gas

·
Registered
72 Posts
Because:
The engine noise returned to normal after i sorted out the pushrod. Normal meaning as it has been for the last year - plenty of work still to do !! the rod itself looked ok. Couple of years back i took the engine out and stripped it down. didn't open the block (not ready for that), but did take off all the rockers and top bits...
Re:
Fascinated to hear the rod could have been out for a long time, but in an up position. I assumed it would immediately be noticable. So the fault could have happened a while back? thats make it even more difficult to find the cause. Hummm.
That is unlikely if the engine ran smoothly before the "Horrible Noise" , ran rough during the "Horrible Noise" and runs smoothly, (again), after reinstalling the Pushrod.

That being said, I notice in this one photo of yours, that one of the Pushrods looks to have the exact shinny/wear/indentation/s that I would expect if it were wedged between the Rocker Arm and Cylinder Head.

Wood Tool Metalworking hand tool Art Motor vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts