Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
I dont know I havent seen $1.70 in several years now. I believe my tank holds 18 gallons.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So I guess if yo do the math.... Lets say it is $1.70 a gallon at 18 gallons that would be $30.60 so that sounds about right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here in canada - try paying .97lt x 4 = 3.88 a gallon pluss 20% on a dollar, its way over 4 dollars a gallon = $72 to fill up - sorry i dont understand why

·
Registered
103 Posts
18 gallons?i fill mine at 1/4 tank and put in 19! it usually takes me $40 to fill at $1.89 a gallon. did they use different size tanks in these things?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
last time I spent $27 at 46 cents per Liter, but its now about 48 cents per Liter so I guess 30 would be right..

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
My fuel gauge messes up under 1/8 of a tank. I was driving home the other day and I was about 3 miles from the house. I could tell I was low on gas because of the loss of power on acceleration. Finally it was getting where I had to barely give it petal to accelerate, so I knew I was about to run out.

I pulled into a gas station and filled it up. 18.68 gallons. I'm tracking my mpg, so I didn't try to fill it up more than when the gas pump automatically shut off. So I'm guessing I may have been able to get 19 gallons in there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
:thumbsup:Filled up yesterday took 16.1 gals. from about 1\4 tank most I've ever put in the tank is around 18gals.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Odd. I have a 20 gallon tank in my '92. I ran it so long one day it literally chugged & huffed the last few hundred feet & died as I pulled up to the pump (I LOVE my XJ. Never leaves me stranded!). I got about 19 gallons in there.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
ya at a 1/4 of a tank left if i fill her all the way up it usually costs me about $30 bucks as well gas here is 1.82 (Denver, CO) i pay midgrade only too, but ya i think i have a 18 gallon tank and barely get 250 miles to the tank, lol idk why but it runs strong and thats all that matters!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I just filled mine a few days ago from 1/4 tank, it took 15.5 gallons and cost me $31.00 @ $1.99 a gallon. I have never seen my jeep take more than 17 gallons even when the needle was passed the empty.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Xj's came with a 15 gal. or a 20 gal. tank the smaller tank is for the 4 bangers I belive and the 20 gal is for the 4.0l

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
I think they all used a 20 gallon tank beginning in the early '90s, regardless of engine type.

When I was in college and used to drive between my school and my girlfriend's I used to take my time filling up and get as much as I could in there. With my needle on E, and my OHC telling me I was a 0 miles until empty, I got 19.75 gallons in there. Yep, almost 20 gallons. I could get 19 gallons in there religiously when commuting between our schools, so it definately is possible.

The reserve comes on quite prematurely on these. Typically you'll have between 3-5 gallons when the light comes on, that's why most of the time when we fill up we average 14-16 gallons per fill-up. On that note, when you let the pump run fully open for a fast fillup, the tank becomes full of gas vapors/fumes and this will trigger the auto-off on the handles prematurely. These fumes will continue to trigger the auto-off when you squeeze it with your hands. When I was getting 19 gallons in regularly, I was pumping myself (PA), and would hold the handle at about a quarter of what "full speed" was, minimizing the fumes in the tank.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I think they all used a 20 gallon tank beginning in the early '90s, regardless of engine type.

When I was in college and used to drive between my school and my girlfriend's I used to take my time filling up and get as much as I could in there. With my needle on E, and my OHC telling me I was a 0 miles until empty, I got 19.75 gallons in there. Yep, almost 20 gallons. I could get 19 gallons in there religiously when commuting between our schools, so it definately is possible.

The reserve comes on quite prematurely on these. Typically you'll have between 3-5 gallons when the light comes on, that's why most of the time when we fill up we average 14-16 gallons per fill-up. On that note, when you let the pump run fully open for a fast fillup, the tank becomes full of gas vapors/fumes and this will trigger the auto-off on the handles prematurely. These fumes will continue to trigger the auto-off when you squeeze it with your hands. When I was getting 19 gallons in regularly, I was pumping myself (PA), and would hold the handle at about a quarter of what "full speed" was, minimizing the fumes in the tank.
thats really good to know! i am going to do it myself for now on

1 - 20 of 36 Posts