Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this crazy idea of running full widths in my jeep. The rear doesn't look to be all that hard, but how about the front? Welding on all the control arm/spring/shock mounts isn't going to be an issue but idk what to do about steering. Anyways it's just an idea for way later down the road (until at least summer) so I was just wondering what you guys think.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It's easier to swap in full-widths than narrowed axles.

But, they might pose legality issues, or cause you some problems with fitting in places. In the wheeling that is typical to where I live (BC as a whole), 61-64" wide axles work well as long as you run as much backspacing as you can, and being slightly narrower isn't a bad thing in a smaller rig (smaller than an XJ). Lots of places, whatever, you ca run 67" wide axles, or 74" wide mogs...

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I know the only issue regarding laws is that you cant have your tires stick 1.25" further then your fender, but I figure that if I run a lot of backspacing and then I can just make some fenders out of square tubing and sheetmetal and I should be fine. I hope anyways, lol.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I need to sell this POS dana 44 first though, lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i run full width with bushwackers...the key is back spacing.....if u run full width with 3.75 back space it will extra wide.....i run 5inch backspace wheel,kinda keeps em tuck under the bushwackers....keeps the cops off my ass.....i was running 36x12.5x15 irok bias,but they stuck out so much,the cops gave me a VI.....heres a pic.....

heres on wit he new rims....

when i was runnin the iroks...i didnt have the high steer

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O ok cool. Thanks a lot crawltechxj! Looks like its going to be freakin sweet! What did you pull your axles off of?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Front is out of a 77 F150....rear is out of a 79-80 Bronco...F150 9 inch is the same as bronco.Dont use the 78-79 F150 D44...due to the fact it has cast sleeves to mount the radius arms....the 77 has weld on wedges,that can be taken off to allow for 4linkable goodies.

heres a link to the kit i used.......

Rubicon Express - RE9968 - TJ AXLE BRACKET KIT FRONT

or u could us this........

Treks Offroad Products - Ford HP44 axle truss

the treks/tnt would be the best route.....less messuring

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O ok cool. I might just go leaf springs in the front but i'm not sure yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts