Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a tow package off a cherokee at the boneyard it uses 3 bolts along the side of the frame rails. how do you get bolts in there? does the rear bumper come off?

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
i got a tow package off a cherokee at the boneyard it uses 3 bolts along the side of the frame rails. how do you get bolts in there? does the rear bumper come off?
There should be a nutsert. it's a long piece of flat steel with nuts welded on it. You can get them at a dealership. They cost around $27 each but worth it. Less of a headache and yes the bumper has to come off to get these in there. Check to see if your jeep has nutserts in there already. You will either see a threaded nut or just a hole.

This is what they look like. Top one is what i pulled out of the driver's side, bottom is from the dealer. Normally there's only one nutsert (driver's side) and I dunno WHY they do that.

Am I even talking about the right thing? :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those woulda been really nice to have had! i got the carraige bolts and square metal locking plates that you have to fish in! it was a pita! i just whent and fished them out of the jeep i got the reciever off of. i also found some pretty nice chrome hooks off of a 2.8l jeep they dont fit the front of my jeep. im kinda curious why.there was a drop plate in the back but the front looked normal where it was mounted so i geuss the frame is differant?

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is what they look like. Top one is what i pulled out of the driver's side, bottom is from the dealer. Normally there's only one nutsert (driver's side) and I dunno WHY they do that.
The PS nutstrip is needed for the exhaust hanger mount. That's only on 1997+ XJs though. 1996 and older have no nutstrips on either side if they don't have the factory hitch or factory gas tank skid plate.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To make the tow hooks work, you need to get the brackets off of the junker XJ you took the hooks off of. The bracket bolts into the "frame" and then the hook to that bracket.
cool im going to go back and get em today:)
yea my 86 didnt have anything for mounting the reciever none of them do for that yeaer that ive seen. some newer ones have nuts welded inside though

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
since ive installed my reciever ive had issues withmy shackles rubbing. ive noticed 2 styles of recievers. one sits in more so its not right up on the shackles. my friend gave me a universal reciever that i could use but i dont like it. im kinda thinkn of getting a better reciever at pull a part as they are like 10bucks and i would like one with the plug on it too.
so if your junkyard hunting stay away from the drawtite that sits up close to the rear shackles it will rub wheeling

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
The PS nutstrip is needed for the exhaust hanger mount. That's only on 1997+ XJs though. 1996 and older have no nutstrips on either side if they don't have the factory hitch or factory gas tank skid plate.
thanks for correcting me. I noticed i said driver's side. What was I thinking......:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
since ive installed my reciever ive had issues withmy shackles rubbing. ive noticed 2 styles of recievers. one sits in more so its not right up on the shackles. my friend gave me a universal reciever that i could use but i dont like it. im kinda thinkn of getting a better reciever at pull a part as they are like 10bucks and i would like one with the plug on it too.
so if your junkyard hunting stay away from the drawtite that sits up close to the rear shackles it will rub wheeling
What shackles are you using, and what did you pull the hitch off of?

I've got the factory Drawtite hitch on my '95, and I've run 6 different shackles (including the stock ones) and never had any clearance issues with the hitch... they're nowhere near close to hitting the hitch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts