Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I had to put in a new alt,, so now I want to know how I can protect it from mud and well water, but mostly mud, so that I wont need one everytime I go wheeling.... :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
There's no actual way to protect the alternator. I've seen serious mudders use a milk carton over it when they go mudding. I never had a problem with the alternator and i've been in more mud holes than i can count, and had countless brown engines.

If you can make some kind of splash shield under/around it, that would help.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive have people tell me to spray it down with high temp silicone to insulate it..

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that looks good, do you need to take that out to change your oil or it does not bother you

btw I have a front skid plate, so if I do that the patter will be a lil diff right

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is no way to protect and Alt. and dont even think about spraying it there are holes in the side for a reason. they get hot. I say kyle has the best setup but you should know even with that its still not fully protected I mean we all have ran thru just a little water and we pop the hood and there is water droplets EVERYWHERE

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
There is no way to protect and Alt. and dont even think about spraying it there are holes in the side for a reason. they get hot. I say kyle has the best setup but you should know even with that its still not fully protected I mean we all have ran thru just a little water and we pop the hood and there is water droplets EVERYWHERE
You have a point, there is no way to fully protect it but my splash guard keeps a lot of stuff away unless the rig is submerged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts