Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allot of people will find this information handy. I’ve seen many many posts about issues adding in Amps and the like.

Any upmarket Jeep Vehicles are running a CAN Bus sound system (Please google that). So to add any additional changes to the current system you will need to install this:

PAC AP4 CH41

This is the only option you have. (Please Google that to learn more).

There is no other accessory that will work. You must use that.

If you don’t use that and you try to hook into the current CAN Bus system, you will find that no matter what you do, you have NO volumn control on the amp you install because of the way a CAN Bus Sound System works.

They cost about US$400+$100Postage+Tax.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I am not an audio expert, but since you posted the exact same thing in two places (one being a thread from 2011) with different prices I'm inclined to ask: Why?

Why do [we] HAVE to use that device and only that device?
Are there no other similar items on the market in today's world?
What do you mean by "upmarket"?
What year and model Jeeps are you implying this applies to?
I'm fairly confident a 1990 XJ is different that a 2020 Cherokee sound system, and again, while I'm not an audio guy, I do work in CAN based software and I know that CAN is not the same as it used to be.

Maybe some details and a brief explanation on system operation would fill in the answers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not an audio expert, but since you posted the exact same thing in two places (one being a thread from 2011) with different prices I'm inclined to ask: Why?

Why do [we] HAVE to use that device and only that device?
Are there no other similar items on the market in today's world?
What do you mean by "upmarket"?
What year and model Jeeps are you implying this applies to?
I'm fairly confident a 1990 XJ is different that a 2020 Cherokee sound system, and again, while I'm not an audio guy, I do work in CAN based software and I know that CAN is not the same as it used to be.

Maybe some details and a brief explanation on system operation would fill in the answers?
Happy to answer all of this
I am not an audio expert, but since you posted the exact same thing in two places (one being a thread from 2011) with different prices I'm inclined to ask: Why? (In the few minutes between the two posts I found one listed on eBay at theat lower price. So I updated the price.)

Why do [we] HAVE to use that device and only that device? (That comes from the advice of a professional audio installer of 23 years that took him almost two weeks trial and errors to discover with the help of Jeep and a multitude of other audio installers. This wasn’t easy to figure out.)

Are there no other similar items on the market in today's world? (No, there’s not, please read up on CAN Bus Systems to unserstand the complications behind how that system works).

What do you mean by "upmarket"? (Newer vehicles)

What year and model Jeeps are you implying this applies to? (If we go off the vehicle we trialed everything on, that’s a Jeep with the uConnect sound system).

I'm fairly confident a 1990 XJ (obviously this vehicle isn’t upmarket. It’s more like prehistoric market) is different that a 2020 Cherokee sound system, and again, while I'm not an audio guy, I do work in CAN based software and I know that CAN is not the same as it used to be.

Maybe some details and a brief explanation on system operation would fill in the answers? (Contact your local Jeep dealer for this or local audio installer, who will come across the same problems our installer had for the uConnect system. It will end up resulting in the above mentioned device being the only solution).

In respect to all your questions. I probably should have gone into more depth regarding vehicle type, year etc. that was an oversight.

Hope all those answers help.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Hope all those answers help.
Yes, thanks. This forum mostly deals with older cherokees, as we havent had any owners of the newer models stick around and establish connections or relationships. So when you revive a thread from 2011 that was discussing older jeeps, and state that a specific device we havent heard of must be used, it comes across with a negative connotation. Context would have helped for sure.

So this device (you should post a link for future members) is for upgrading the audio in a jeep with the Uconnect soundsystem, (which appears to be available on models from 2012-present?).

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, thanks. This forum mostly deals with older cherokees, as we havent had any owners of the newer models stick around and establish connections or relationships. So when you revive a thread from 2011 that was discussing older jeeps, and state that a specific device we havent heard of must be used, it comes across with a negative connotation. Context would have helped for sure.

So this device (you should post a link for future members) is for upgrading the audio in a jeep with the connect soundsystem, (which appears to be available on models from 2012-present?).

Thanks for the info.
Yep, any Jeep or really any vehicle with the uConnect Sound System will need that device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts