Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Budd Cochran :hi: and I live in Canon City CO. :D

Last fall I swapped a 79 Dodge pickup for a 88 Cherokee that was more of a bag of problems than I thought :( ... but I'm slowly getting it fixed up. :thumbsup:

My plan is to use it as a daily driver with some off-roading to get to fishing spots (but no extreme offroad) and as a toad for our Class C motorhome.

One problem area is the Peugot BA10/5 trans that's grinds 1st, 2nd, and 3rd synchros in cold weather unless you let it idle in neutral a few minutes. :confused:

Budd

·
Short Bus Motorsports
1,786 Posts
Welcome to CT

·
Registered
103 Posts
welcome to CT, i have a similar issue, bought a "ready to drive, no problems" jeep and put $500 in repairs into it in the first week of ownership. your among friends now, no worries friend.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
welcome to CT, i have a similar issue, bought a "ready to drive, no problems" jeep and put $500 in repairs into it in the first week of ownership. your among friends now, no worries friend.

No worries?? :dunno:

Let's see ... four different tires (including one 45 series rubberband), rear wheel bearings coming apart (one side had a bent retainer!), severly sagging rear springs (considering the roof rack was wrecked, I hate to think of what loads they put on the poor beastie), spilled housepaint on the cargo area carpet, rear shocks blown out (that takes heavy loads and rouugh roads!), synchros acting up in cold weather (Puked BA10/5), steering linkage frozen up and couldn't be adjusted, throwout bearing (internal) leaking, rear main leaking, airbox full of oil, power steer pump fried, waterpump leaking, cooling system (closed, converted to open) leaking, rear axle jounce snubbers worn off to the mounts, exhaust leaking, wrecked left front fender / bumper, and the clutch master cylinder had bits of teflon tape under the check valve. :brickwall:

I traded a great running 79 Dodge D-150 (318, auto, LWB, dual fuel tanks, aluminum rims) for it and I wouldn't trade back. :thumbsup:

Springs, power steering pump, waterpump, rear wheel bearings, steering linkage, rear main seal, clutch throwout, jounce bumpers, exhaust, rear shocks replaced and much of the rest repaired or on the "to do" list. :thumbsup:

It's also got Renix issues but I keep finding new fixes to try on it . . . .:)

Ya know, I think I got Jeepitis bad . . . . :thumbsup:

Budd

·
Registered
872 Posts
Welcome to CT from COS!!:cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts