Jeep Cherokee Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep started making a constant squeak, but it almost sounds more like a whistle from a teapot kettle. Curious if anyone has been through this and could point me in a direction to track it down.

Here are symptoms: It occurs only when rolling, and only after driving a block or so when things get warmed up. I can hear it the second I start slowly rolling (like just letting off the brakes in drive and letting it coast). It stops when Jeep stops.

It is constant and doesn’t “pulse” like brakes usually would. I can kill the engine and coast in neutral and still hear it.

I first noticed it shortly after switching out my Lock Right with a Powertrax No-Slip in the D30. It wasn’t immediately after, but that was the last mod I did prior the noise. I also developed a bad axle seal leak on driver side, probably damaged the seal during the job.

I had someone listen from outside and he said it sounds to be coming from the front, but not specifically either side. Pads have a lot left, although they have some cracking in the material. Squeak is unaffected by braking.

Some background on the Jeep

98 4.0 Auto, 160k
231 with SYE and new shaft
Front shaft is stock
4.5” with 33’s
Powertrax No-Slip front and rear

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Engine speed doesn’t affect it at all. I listened more today and there is a slight pulse to it actually.

4wd shifting doesn’t affect it either. It also does it when rolling backwards.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I’m going to pull the front shaft and see if it goes away. Don’t know what a bad u joint sounds like, but maybe it’s that?

Axle U-joints are new Spicers, so those should be good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally whistles are vacuum leaks, but you have eliminated that. Front or rear of vehicle and there when not moving or only moving?
Only when in motion. It originally sounded like a whistle since it was constant, now it’s got somewhat of a rhythm at times. And only hear it after driving for a few minutes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front shaft pulled, no change.

One thing I realized is that I also replaced the hub assemblies when I switched the locker, with new SKF hubs. I wonder if one of those are squealing. I still have my original hubs, so might put them back on to find out.

Process of elimination.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a possibility. If you take the wheel off and spin them by hand, generally if they are going south they will be sounding a little dry or rough
Felt fine when I did that when I was just replacing my steering this weekend. I’m tempted to hook the front shaft back up and pull the rear shaft to run it in 4wd (front wheels only) while jacked up to see if I can at least pinpoint what side it’s on.

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely a weird issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts