Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1991 jeep cherokee briarwood (repainted) 4.0L, 155000, auto

Just moved to NY and had to get it inspected. The jeep passed in PA 6 months ago after needed exhaust manifold. It passed NY no problem said I'll need front brakes soon. The problem is the jeep has been riding rough past few months. For instince on the high-way doing 65-70 and there is a curve in the road and a seam for a bridge in the curve when I hit the seam the rear end feels like it could slide right out from under me if i was going a little fast or turning the wheel a little harder. Going over bumps going slow its sounds like a hollow banging around the rear axle. My rear pinion seal need replaced. Axle oil is flinging everywhere. I can even hear almost a howling sound from the rear just driving down a smooth road. The sound is fairly loud. Im just looking for some guilding on what i should do seeing how NY state says my jeep is safe. Ah one more thing...is it common to change Front axle u-joints offten? Mine were change a year and half ago and again when I turn the wheel hard in a slow turn I can hear the u-joints and the tires kinda slide a bit. I did put general grabber 2s on about six months ago... I have noticed they are some what of a stiffer tire but still great

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
that seems like a lot for just the pinion seal being bad. that i know of....
Ya but im lazy, heres my thinking. Im guessing you are running a d35 in the rear (one of the stock options). You could take this opportunity and spend about 150$ and get a 29spl c8.25 in the rear with a good seal. You then have killed two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it has factory hitch and trans cooler so i assume thats factory " tow package" it has the power/comfort swich too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok heres something else weird its been doin could be related. More so in 4h but does it a 2h if im on a pretty flat road and i let of the gas fast i can hear something bang together and the same if i hit the gas fast half way or so. when hitting the gas it sounds like something is turning or spinning and is catching up to and banging what ever its connected to and then spinning or turning that.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
1991 jeep cherokee briarwood (repainted) 4.0L, 155000, auto

Just moved to NY and had to get it inspected. The jeep passed in PA 6 months ago after needed exhaust manifold. It passed NY no problem said I'll need front brakes soon. The problem is the jeep has been riding rough past few months. For instince on the high-way doing 65-70 and there is a curve in the road and a seam for a bridge in the curve when I hit the seam the rear end feels like it could slide right out from under me if i was going a little fast or turning the wheel a little harder. Going over bumps going slow its sounds like a hollow banging around the rear axle. My rear pinion seal need replaced. Axle oil is flinging everywhere. I can even hear almost a howling sound from the rear just driving down a smooth road. The sound is fairly loud. Im just looking for some guilding on what i should do seeing how NY state says my jeep is safe. Ah one more thing...is it common to change Front axle u-joints offten? Mine were change a year and half ago and again when I turn the wheel hard in a slow turn I can hear the u-joints and the tires kinda slide a bit. I did put general grabber 2s on about six months ago... I have noticed they are some what of a stiffer tire but still great
if its howling you have already damaged it, so i would say it needs to be replaced

1 - 12 of 12 Posts