Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been in the 'teens here recently, and yesterday only got as high as 19degrees with a low of 8. I went to the XJ to start it, but the battery's dead ... again. So I tried to jump start it, but the doggone hood latch cable or whatever must be frozen because I couldn't open the hood. So my battery's gonna go completely dead because I can't charge it, and my hood cable's in danger of breaking. Lovely.

The good news is that it's an AAA battery, less than a year old with a lifetime waranty. They screwed me for $100 so now I'll get even ... I hope.

Is there anything I can do for my poor XJ even though it's still freezing out?
BTW ... Isn't there a type of charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket?

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Hmmm, that stinks. Do you have a way to park in a garage and maybe turn a space heater on for a couple hours (of course under supervision), and then give the hood another shot?

I've never heard of those cigarette lighters jumpers working all that well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Cig. Lighter jumps are useless.
My hood cables are always stiff, but if I can get it to the unlock point, it isn't nothing a fist on the corners of the hood can't fix.
$100 for a AAA Bat? Hell I would have spent the extra $20 and got the Optima.

Find a way to park where there's little wind, and pop one of those halogen shop lamps under the RF pointed straight up. The more you can skirt the Jeep, the better, and throw some old blankets on top of the hood. Or just park it in a garage and aim a torpedo heater under it a bit. You just need to get the battery a little above 32*F.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
just take the hood reless latch out from under the plastic cover under the dash. it like 4 bolts and a few screws. then you can take vicegrips and put it on the cable farther up from the end hand puller and pull it open with the vicegrips.. I have had mine working like this for 6 months now and I have the hood open every second day. no problem at all...

oh and by the way if it is dead at that temp its no good. we have -30 here and no battery problems..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Also look into getting a heat pad you can either put under or wrap around the battery. That will work wonders in cold weather. Or the Optima, dry cell batteries rock, no freezing allowed.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Try pouring real hot water on the middle and corners of the hood and try popping it up. Do it fast otherwise you will half to wait till spring. Maybe if you take off the grill you can pop it manually.

·
Retired Moderator
7,287 Posts
Pushing down on the corners has also worked for me when my hoods been stubborn. I've found that spraying the springs, latches, and any other mechanical parts that release the hood with PB once a month keeps them functioning with little headache.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Word of advice, not just about this...

If you have to check it, you might as well lube/clean/inspect it while you're there.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Wow, it got down to 27 here the other day. We all thought we were going to die. lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well, if you discharged your battery completely when it is well below freezing, the battery is a write off. But, you have warantee, so you should be okay.

If you can't get the hood to release, don't do anything too darastic. Yaking from below can work, but sometimes it'll be too jammed. If you take the headlight out of the header panel, behind it there is two bolts that hold the latch to the radiator support assembly. Undo the two bolts, both sides, and the hood will pop open with the latches still together. Then you can get them apart and lube them.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. And to those telling me to "park it here, or move it there" umm ... can't get it started to move it, remember?!! Funny thing is, the Jeep has endured weather & temps lower than this in the 8 yrs I have owned it and the old battery never faltered. Now here I am with a fairly new battery, dead. Figures.
I do keep my cable oiled with PB blaster, I'm pretty anal about that. But I just don't move the XJ as often as I used to. And she's always been jealous since I got the Durango.

The good new is that I've popped a hood in a junk yard thru the head light before, so if it comes to it, I think I can do that. I do own one of those Coleman Powermate cig. lighter jump starters (I forgot, dug it out of hiding). It didn't work. Surprise!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well......I guess you could jump the starter. Positive to the starter and ground to the frame. As soon as it starts disconnect it and drive it to a warm place or the heat from the engine might warm up the hood to pop it. Just an idea. Oh yah make sure the key is turned forward.

·
Web Wheeler
2,573 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. And to those telling me to "park it here, or move it there" umm ... can't get it started to move it, remember?!! Funny thing is, the Jeep has endured weather & temps lower than this in the 8 yrs I have owned it and the old battery never faltered. Now here I am with a fairly new battery, dead. Figures.
I do keep my cable oiled with PB blaster, I'm pretty anal about that. But I just don't move the XJ as often as I used to. And she's always been jealous since I got the Durango.

The good new is that I've popped a hood in a junk yard thru the head light before, so if it comes to it, I think I can do that. I do own one of those Coleman Powermate cig. lighter jump starters (I forgot, dug it out of hiding). It didn't work. Surprise!
Yeah those cigerate liighter jumpstarters are pretty much worthless if your battery is completely dead. I have gotten one to start my jeep though, but i had to leave it plugged in for almost an hour, lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: Well, the XJ has sat for a week with the dead battery & frozen hood cable while higher temps avoided South Jersey. Yesterday the weatherman promised us 40 degrees and sure enough, we got it. Since the Jeep was in direct sunlight I decided to give it a shot & the hood popped right open. Yeah! And even though the battery has been frozen for a week, it accepted a jumpstart. I'm impressed. Like some of you, I was so sure it was a goner, I even called AAA thinking they'd have to give me a new one .... Bummer, all the guy did was jumpstart the battery for a helpless female while my identical Jumpstarter sat in my living room. I hadn't even tried it. Oh well. happy ending ... then I shot the hood cable with WD40, & took my baby for a long drive.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
UPDATE: Well, the XJ has sat for a week with the dead battery & frozen hood cable while higher temps avoided South Jersey. Yesterday the weatherman promised us 40 degrees and sure enough, we got it. Since the Jeep was in direct sunlight I decided to give it a shot & the hood popped right open. Yeah! And even though the battery has been frozen for a week, it accepted a jumpstart. I'm impressed. Like some of you, I was so sure it was a goner, I even called AAA thinking they'd have to give me a new one .... Bummer, all the guy did was jumpstart the battery for a helpless female while my identical Jumpstarter sat in my living room. I hadn't even tried it. Oh well. happy ending ... then I shot the hood cable with WD40, & took my baby for a long drive.

Thanks all!
You women on here need to have a PINK avatar or something. It's a known fact I talk better to women than men! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would use something then wd40. it is not the best to use on a hood latch.. drys to fast and evaporats. get a good lube that is oil baced..... it will last longer and work better.
good to hear you baby is back on the road..
Yes I agree, but it was the only thing close by. The PB blaster will be used as soon as I remember where I put it in December ...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts