Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Dynomax cat-back kit on my XJ two years ago, and it sounded good until it started to rust apart a year later, so I welded it back together and sealed up some of the leaks, but now it's just a goner. Muffler's leaking, inlet pipe is rusted out, tail pipe looks like swiss cheese... long story short: aluminized steel is crap. I want a stainless steel exhaust system that will outlast my XJ, but holy crap they're pricey. MagnaFlow and Gibson are in the $450 range, and Borla's around $380, just for a muffler and tail pipe. Flowmaster's aluminized steel, so screw them. Are there any that I'm not thinking of? Is it really worth it to go stainless? Is there ANY way to make aluminized steel last longer than a year? Paint it perhaps? A $400 exhaust would be nice, but it's easier to swing $150 every year or two than to drop that kind of bread all at once. But my Jeep sounds like a wet fart and it's completely robbed of power on inclines due to all the back pressure getting sucked back into the motor and choking it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Insults? Thanks dudes. :)

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
Well, if you are feeling handy with that welder, you cn piece together your own stainless system. Go to summitracing.com and type in "stainless mandrel bends"

I am guessing you might be able to do it for half

It is how I make my exhaust systems. You don't end up with crush bands and they flow so much better

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 110 MIG from Tractor Supply, and I've never managed to do anything pretty or clean with it, so I don't know how confident I'd be at welding up my own stainless exhaust. But the price of a stainless muffler and a roll of stainless wire aside, it probably would be the cheaper alternative. I'll have to think about that...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Stainless welds pretty easy... At least for the sake of doing exhaust work. I'll be making my own when the time comes using as much 304 stainless as I can.

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
It's a 110 MIG from Tractor Supply, and I've never managed to do anything pretty or clean with it, so I don't know how confident I'd be at welding up my own stainless exhaust. But the price of a stainless muffler and a roll of stainless wire aside, it probably would be the cheaper alternative. I'll have to think about that...
I have friends who weld stainless. They say yo have to push the weld, it doesn't flow

·
Registered
444 Posts
you can weld it just like mild steel.. you can even use mild steel wire in non crucial situations.. stainless steel is mild steel with nickle and chromium in the mix so it wont rust

·
Registered
412 Posts
you can weld it just like mild steel.. you can even use mild steel wire in non crucial situations.. stainless steel is mild steel with nickle and chromium in the mix so it wont rust

You can do that, but then the weld will rust and look like shit. Stainless wire is inexpensive, and it really is very easy to weld for the sake of making a decent looking bead. I'd rather not use any mild steel in an exhaust system if I could. I just don't like rust.

·
Premium Member
11,624 Posts
I had a regular ol' muffler and exhaust system from midas installed on my TJ during the first year of ownership. It lasted 4 years of off road and salt abuse and never had an issue with it. I dunno if you are interested in stock setup though.....

·
Squirrel Master
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a regular ol' muffler and exhaust system from midas installed on my TJ during the first year of ownership. It lasted 4 years of off road and salt abuse and never had an issue with it. I dunno if you are interested in stock setup though.....
Don't really wanna go back to stock. If I'm replacing it, it might as well be an upgrade.

If I decide to weld it, there's no chance I'm using mild steel wire. Then I'll have stainless pipe rusting at the welds - kinda defeats the purpose. There's like 50 bajillion different pieces of pipe on Summit's site... how do I know what pieces to get? Which bends? It's like a puzzle, and I hate puzzles...

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
At Summits site just do a search

"Stainless mandrel bend"

All the stainless stuff will come up first. Pick your diameter and go from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts