Jeep Cherokee Talk banner

I have some explaining to do...

4K views 41 replies 8 participants last post by  XJSuperman 
#1 ·
Oops.......................I bought a Toyota.

A friend cut me a deal on this little 1982 Toyota pickup. From the factory it had a 22R, 5spd trans, topshift transfercase, and solid front axle. The head on the motor says 20R, so I have some investigating to do. It has no bed, no battery, and doesn't run but should. The cab is solid and rustfree. The clutch is possibly stuck, and the crappy little tires don't hold air. But don't worry, I have a set of tractor tires and wheels for it. This will be a trail rig only, going places and taking the beating I am not willing to dish out on my Jeep. It needs to keep up with rigs on +40" tires, so its gonna get driven hard. Some toyota guys will cry watching this build, and some will drool. Jeep guys probably don't give a crap, but I've been around long enough to know some of you will appreciate it regardless. I felt an obligation to inform you I have taken a large step towards the dark side with this.

The Plan:
(Phase I)
-get it running
-clean fuel sys
-get battery
-get it driving
-fix clutch
-fix brakes
-minor budget suspension upgrades
-start fabbing an extensive exocage
-weld rear diff or add a spool
(Phase II)
-find cheap front locker
-fix headlights and taillights
-stereo of some sort (currently has none)
-shocks
-transfercase doubler

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm good with it. Solid axle Yota's rock. Looks like a prefect start for a woods beater. (y)

#7 ·
Thanks for the tip, but I think I am going to avoid a body lift and stick with suspension upgrades if I can. The plus side is that for the current plan, I don't really need much suspension work.

Haven't made any progress over the weekend as I tweaked my knee again, so I took it easy and messed with other garage things. Today or tomorrow I will cut out the rot and start patching. Fabbing a new front cab mount from scratch will be the hardest part I think. That reminds me...I need to find some hockey pucks. I have a spare shelf from a unit I acquired a couple years back that will be fine for patching. Free is the best material in this case.

#8 ·
Current status: gutted and waiting on parts

Attachments

#10 ·
Started cutting out rust last night, and got one of the cab mounts cut off so I can replicate it. Good news, Im reusing the rubber parts of the mount. Need a new bolt but the bushings are fine for this truck. Stopping at Menards tonight to grab some thicker steel for the mount areas and some angle to stiffen the floor boards I need to make.

Attachments

#11 ·
By Sunday night (took saturday and relaxed), I had the front cab mount in and the passenger side floors patched. Just needs a couple holes located and nuts installed, and the floor coated. Moving to the driver side...

Attachments

#12 ·

here is mine
when I got it the engine was in the bed
the bed was so rusty I was afraid it was going to be left on the road if I hit a bump

I have had 10 of these trucks and I can rebuild a 22r in my sleep
Btw the 20 r valve cover fits on the 22 r
have fun with your toy

#13 ·
I have had 10 of these trucks and I can rebuild a 22r in my sleep
Btw the 20 r valve cover fits on the 22 r
have fun with your toy
Hey Roland, thanks for popping in. This has a 20R swapped in and the 22R is gone unfortunately. I hear that putting a 20R head on a 22R is a performance mod, but I think I'll have the 20R for awhile. I just put in some blockoff plates last night for the EGR and air injection. I bought cheapy ebay ones that didn't come with gaskets or hardware so I wonder how long they will last with the old gaskets lol. I was a little angry that I had to modify them, the center holes didn't fit on the air injection plates. Oh well.

#14 ·
A month later and I'm still finishing the floors. I did finish them though, over Easter weekend. Just a few details left on that, and I'm starting the fun stuff now. Front axle is ready to be pulled as soon as I can unstick the damn leafspring bolts and shackle bolts. Who knew Toyotas and XJs would have that in common?
I borrowed a friend's plasma cutter, and man, was I happy to be using one of those again. So much faster.

I have a pile of stuff coming from Summit racing any day now (already 2 days late thanks to Fedex), and another pile coming from California (so I might see that in a month if someone there can pull their head out of their butt and ship it).

Tube should be ordered by now so I have to check with a buddy on that. Same buddy has a couple trucks I need to go pull parts off of. A t-case, a steering box, and a PS pump.

Attachments

#16 ·
Cab is done. I am very happy to be done screwing around wasting time on that floor. There are a bunch of other little holes but I am not fixing them. I scuffed the whole thing and cleaned it and hit it with a couple coats of Rustoleom Pro Truck bedliner paint. Its nothing fancy but thats the point.

So after that I began cutting out the front axle. Rear shackles weren't cooperating, so I cut them and hammered out the bolts. The front was being a pain just like jeeps so I cut the whole mounts off. I have a new front spring hanger to install anyways. So now the axle is out and has been stripped of unneeded brackets, steering, springs, ubolts, etc. I degreased and powerwashed it last night, so tonight I hope to start taking it apart. I have rebuild parts, a lube locker seal, a spartan locker, and stronger studs for it.

Lets see what I have for pics...

Attachments

#17 ·
More pics... these show masking off the inside of the cab, cutting off the lower part of the fenders and the "chinstrap" aka valence piece, as well as the front hanger.

Attachments

#18 ·
And the finished cab floor...

Attachments

#19 ·
Veddy nice! Looking good. Soo jealous. Please tell me the diamond plate running boards are going away?? Are the trash bags full of empty grain belts?? 🍻 🍻

#20 ·
The trash bags are full of pop and beer cans/bottles. The local store ruined the nice system they have so I quit taking them there. I have a local place that will take them, but my tow vehicle is in pieces next to the toyota....

No, I want to keep the diamond plate steps actually. I really like them on this truck. I plan on bending tube so I can hide the tube sliders under the steps, reinforcing them.

#23 ·
That was hard to watch, Gluck, but so is everything else that moron posts on YT.

#25 ·
It was tough, but my goal was to promote the durability of the Toyota, which it does. I think he is an ass.

#26 ·
Been a minute....heres the front axle so far. Im not done, but its getting close.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.